This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Android 7.0 = Nougat?, and, Sophos XG Firewall available for Andoid 7.0?

Hey all ... I'm a newb here ... I joined SophosID back in AUG 2015, however, only recently did I acquire a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge smartphone (I was on a BB Tour 9630 [OS 5.0.0.519] since 2009 and would have been happy to continue with it [they're indestructible!], however TELUS Mobility turned off their CDMA 1xEVDO network < 0810PDT on 20JUN17) and develop the need to learn more about Android ... so here I am!

FYI - I've been getting the Sophos Naked Security newsletter since at least 28SEP11 and rely on the info therein to make informed decisions about certain IT matters ...

... not lost on me was the high incidence of articles about Android devices and their exposure to attack ... hence the decision to install 'Sophos Mobile Security 7.0.2288 (15)' on my new phone right away was an easy one ... BTW, is this the same app as 'Free Antivirus and Security' available at Google Play?

So, first things first ... based on my phones' Settings > About device > Software information (nowhere do I see mention of 'Nougat'), I have:

Android version: 7.0

Baseband version: G935W8VLS2BQF1

Kernel version: 3.18.14-11422779, dpi@SWHE8801 #1, Thu Jun 1 19:35:14 KST 2017

Build number: NRD90M.G935W8VLS2BQF1

FYI - this phone was delivered to me back in mid-January, 2017 (but not activated) and I noted that upon activation on 21JUN17, this S7 edge went through some pretty dramatic s/w, f/w & more s/w upgrades right out of the gate ... I have since read in various places online that perhaps I will not be happy with some aspects of the latest update(s) ... and may want to roll them back - is this possible?  Or too problematic?

Anyways, as I can find no specific reference within 'Sophos Mobile Security' on my phone to any 'firewall' capabilities, I am wondering if the term 'Security' in the apps' title is making reference to (any) said capabilities?

If not, is there a Sophos Android firewall app?  Perhaps like Sophos' XG Firewall?  It does not seem so.

I find reference to both XG Firewall and Android 7.0 Nougat in a thread entitled 'Transparent Proxy and Android 7.0 Nougat'.  That thread is interesting but a little over my head just yet.

I also found an article entitled 'Top 7 Best Free Firewall Apps For Android'.  At the top of that list is 'NoRoot Firewall'.  Any thoughts here re: root access vs. non-root access types of firewalls for Android?

So, if someone would be so kind as to respond to the above and educate me in a few basics, I'd sure appreciate it ... i.e. is there any sort of inhouse online tutorial regarding configuration of Sophos Mobile Security?

I have noted that there is an extremely high incidence of permissions dialogs on this new phone ... not just the Sophos app, but most other apps as well, most notably Google ... whom I do not trust ... with much.

Thank you, K_McIntosh

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Open Google Play Store [ Apps & Games ]

Search for "AdHell"

Install AdHell.

Follow instructions in App.

Make Device Admin.

NoRoot Firewall & every other Android firewall I tried = Fast Battery Depletion.

Adhell is ONLY FOR SAMSUNG PHONES / TABLETS.

Content blocker for Samsung

This app uses the Device Administrator permission. android.permission.BIND_DEVICE_ADMIN

To enable Adhell you need to activate admin mode for app.

Adhell uses underlying Samsung instruments, and this instruments require Admin privilege.

You can check Adhell code on github.com/adhell

• Thanks Nick ... I'll look at Adhell and see what it's all about ... thanks for stepping up and helping out ... I was beginning to think this forum was pretty much a dead end for me.

K_McIntosh

Reply Children