This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

App Protection Not Working in Android Lollipop 5.0.2

Hello,

I am facing issues with the App Protection feature.

Device Information

Manufacturer:    Swipe
Model Name:    Swipe Elite Plus
Android Version:    5.0.2

I installed both these apps today:
1) Sophos Free Antivirus and Security
2) Sophos Security & Antivirus Guard

Then I allowed 'Device Administrator' access for both these apps.

Now, I was checking out the App Protection functionality in the 'Sophos Mobile Security' app.
1) I selected the check box that says 'Enable App Protection'
2) Then I set a new 'App Protection Password'
3) Changed the 'Grace Period' to 1 minute
4) Selected 'Google Play Store' check box under 'Protect Configuration'

Now the app reported that 3 apps were protected (the 3 apps listed under 'Protect Configuration', which were the 'Android Settings' app, the 'Google Play Store' app and the 'Sophos Mobile Security' app).

I am facing a few issues here:

1) I closed the Sophos app, waited for 2 minutes and then tried to open the Settings App, Google Play Store app and the Sophos app. But they do not seem to ask the password I had set. All these apps opened without asking for an app password.

2) The second issue is that now I was now unable to disable/deselect the 'Enable App Protection' option. The option was greyed out. In fact, all of the options in the "Base Configuration" tab of the "App Protection" feature's page were now unchangeable / greyed out. They were disabled from touch.

I even rebooted the phone to see if these 2 issues above would resolve by itself. But the issues were still there.

Finally I had to uninstall both the apps and install them again to see those options enabled again.

Now I am afraid to touch the App Protection feature anymore.

Could you please shed some light here?

1) Any idea why the App Protection feature is not working for my mobile make/model and android version?
2) Once I set a password once and enable the 'App Protection' feature, can it not be disabled from inside of the app again? I mean, even the 'change password' option got disabled/greyed out after I enabled he feature once.

Thanks in Advance!
Siva

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have a similar issue with App Protection not working as expected. Everything appears to be correctly installed and configured, but am not prompted for protection PIN when I start a protected application.

Device Information
    Manufacturer:     Samsung
    Model Name:       Galaxy Note 3
    Android Version:  5.0.1

• Same here. App protection no longer works since upgrade to version 7.1.2457 (18)

Device Info:

Manufacturer: Huawei

Model: Nexus 6P

Android Version: 8.0.0 (Oreo)  Security patch level 5 October 2017

Hope somone can help and maybe also advise when this issue expects to be resolved.

Thanks

Brian

• Well that is very strange. App protection just started working for me on release 7.1.2457(18) for Android 5.0. 

So maybe they changed something to support older Android that broke 8.0?

• Sivabhaskar S said:
    Hello,

I am facing issues with the App Protection feature.

Device Information

Manufacturer:    Swipe
    Model Name:    Swipe Elite Plus
    Android Version:    5.0.2

I installed both these apps today:
    1) Sophos Free Antivirus and Security
    2) Sophos Security & Antivirus Guard

Then I allowed 'Device Administrator' access for both these apps.

Now, I was checking out the App Protection functionality in the 'Sophos Mobile Security' app.
    1) I selected the check box that says 'Enable App Protection'
    2) Then I set a new 'App Protection Password'
    3) Changed the 'Grace Period' to 1 minute
    4) Selected 'Google Play Store' check box under 'Protect Configuration'

Now the app reported that 3 apps were protected (the 3 apps listed under 'Protect Configuration', which were the 'Android Settings' app, the 'Google Play Store' app and the 'Sophos Mobile Security' app).

I am facing a few issues here:

1) I closed the Sophos app, waited for 2 minutes and then tried to open the Settings App, Google Play Store app and the Sophos app. But they do not seem to ask the password I had set. All these apps opened without asking for an app password.

2) The second issue is that now I was now unable to disable/deselect the 'Enable App Protection' option. The option was greyed out. In fact, all of the options in the "Base Configuration" tab of the "App Protection" feature's page were now unchangeable / greyed out. They were disabled from touch.

I even rebooted the phone to see if these 2 issues above would resolve by itself. But the issues were still there.

Finally I had to uninstall both the apps and install them again to see those options enabled again.

Now I am afraid to touch the App Protection feature anymore.

Could you please shed some light here?

1) Any idea why the App Protection feature is not working for my mobile make/model and android version?
    2) Once I set a password once and enable the 'App Protection' feature, can it not be disabled from inside of the app again? I mean, even the 'change password' option got disabled/greyed out after I enabled he feature once.

Thanks in Advance!
    Siva

I am glad to report that I have now got it working in my android.

Other users, here are some possible incomplete settings in your android that could very well be preventing the App Protection feature from working:

1) Make sure you have enabled Sophos as one of the Device Administrators under

(Android) Settings --> Security --> Device Administrators

2) Make sure you are allowing usage access for Sophos under

(Android) Settings --> Security --> Apps with usage access

3) Make sure you are turning ON the Accessibility feature for Sophos under

(Android) Settings --> Accessibility --> Sophos

I believe it was #2 above that was preventing the App Protection feature from not working in my android until now.

Good Luck!

Siva