This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Samsung S7: Sophos Mobile + Control + Microsoft Exchange = No Fingerprint-Reader

Hi,

as i would like to use a Samsung S7 with its Fingerprint Reader.
But the combination of Sophos SMC and Microsoft Exchange  Server 2013 disables the option to use the Fingerprint Reader.

What is the best combination of Settings in SMC and Exchange to have both: Security and Usability?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello,

According to Google definition a fingerprint is equals to a 3 digit pin. So you may adjust the password rules either on the SMC password profile or on your Exchange Active Sync mailbox policy.

If you are using SMC server on-premise you can set the SMC as the EAS proxy and then transfer the EAS profile to the manage devices, this way the SMC can manage the security for the device and the email account.

To configure SMC as an internal EAS proxy.

1. On the menu sidebar, under SETTINGS, click Setup > System setup.
    2. On the System setup page, click the EAS proxy tab.
    3. In the Internal section, enter the Exchange or groupware server URL in the
    Exchange/groupware server URL text field.
    4. Select Use SSL to use a secure connection.
    5. Click Check connection to test the connection.
    A message will be displayed if the server can be accessed.
    6. Click Save.

• Well you say it is Google's definition, but at the same time we have several near ASOP devices with fingerprints which do not have that problem.
    More or less every other device either on 5.1.x or 6.0.x can be used with 6-digit pins and fingerprint-readers.

So i am sure we dont need to lower the security standard to 3-digit pins. Maybe i have to contact Samsung for this?

• Hello, 

Yes I think it would be better to contact Samsung in regards to the PIN length of their fingerprint passcode to confirm.

Because if this would be the case then the IT admin would have to decide if they will lower the security restrictions for 

the Samsung mobile phones in order to used the fingerprint passcode.

There is also a similar post regarding this matter and our answer has been the same.
    https://community.sophos.com/products/mobile-device-protection/f/sophos-mobile-security-for-android/10729/samsung-s6-fingerprint-not-working-after-mdm-installed

Regards,
    Dan