This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

KnowBe4 RanSim - CryptoGuard didn't stop InsideCryptor

I recently run KnowBe4's ransomware simulator on my desktop. Whilst it appears that Sophos did better than most of their competitors it still missed InsideCryptor. I'm looking for an explanation on how this could happen. Is it a configuration problem? An issue with the simulator or did CryptoGuard drop the ball and Sophos is working on this? 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Looks like I get to answer my own question.

I spoke to a Sophos engineer and he said that CyberGuard actually did stop it and all the files were spared. KnowBe4's sim reported it wrong. They have reached out to KnowBe4 and are waiting for them to fix their simulator. 

• I ran the same test today and found similar issues. We have endpoint protection and Intercept X. 

The tool is called Ransim from KnowBe4 and simulates 16 types of ransomware. I'd be interested if this is a problem with the Ransim tool or if InterceptX isn't seeing them>

• Hi Simeon,

A quick way to see if Sophos worked or not is to check to see if the files are encrypted or not. The path is on the right hand column.

• Hi Simeon,

I would also advise raising a support case so that our Labs team can take a closer look at this tool and the results you are being provided with.

Regards,

Florentino
    Director, Global Community & Digital Support

Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation@SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the 'Verify Answer' button.
    The Award-winning Home of Sophos Support Videos! - Visit Sophos Techvids
  • Do you see any isolation done by heartbeat with the Sophos Cloud or XG when you run this?  Just want to make sure there are no adverse affects when testing it out.  Otherwise I will try this afternoon.

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• It is interesting because I got completely different results, as to what was successful.

I think I will open a case or reach out to someone.

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• I also wanted to add that I have gone through the endpoint policies in Sophos Central, every option is on or checked except for device isolation which would not have stopped this on the workstation level anyway, prevented it from accessing network resources maybe but not the workstation.  I have the full Advanced Threat and Intercept X licensing as well.

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• Hi everyone,

The RanSim tool is not a realistic test, while some of what it includes does match real world threats they have also invented some new techniques that create misleading and inconsistent results (as demonstrated by the comments above) and importnatly aren't seen in actual malware. Most AV vendors create detections specifically for the RanSim tool even if what they are doing wouldn't even be considered malicious in the real world, this makes the results from this tool relatively pointless as it doesn't accurately reflect how good a security product is against real world threats.

Testing AV products is a good idea, however you may find it a lot easier if you just read the reports from the independent 3rd parties that actually create the testing standards and are internationally accepted by the Security industry.

Our CTO published an article on this recently: https://news.sophos.com/en-us/2018/10/23/fair-rigorous-transparent-and-collaborative-cybersecurity-product-testing-is-good-for-customers-and-good-for-the-industry/

Or you can skip to some recent 3rd party results that tested Sophos alongside other leading AV vendors: https://news.sophos.com/en-us/2019/07/01/more-fantastic-test-results-for-sophos-intercept-x/

Hope this helps.

• I would like to add that I agree with PeterM, after running my own tests while the simulator was running I found that the simulator did not encrypt any files for the tests it claimed I was vulnerable to but also required administrator privileges to even run many aspects of the test which in many cases the average users does not even have. Sophos also flagged all 16 attacks in Sophos Central which again does not add up to the report I was getting.  I did reach out to the reps at knowb4 regarding these results as well, thinking maybe this is something they were not aware of and asking  if it is possible that they are false positives and or have they proven their app against Sophos security apps and the response I got was-

We have a support document that covers issues with false positives (towards the end), should be what you're looking for https://support.knowbe4.com/hc/en-us/articles/229040167-RanSim

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• Here is some feedback from KnowBe4: The original poster, who originally noted InsideCryptor not being blocked, uses a very old version of Ransim (1.0.3.4). Since then, several things have changed in the code and those changes also reflect in the results. I would advise them to give it a try with the latest version.

The rest of the people did use the latest version in which InsideCryptor appear to be blocked, as that person from Support states (he probably used the latest version as well), but there are other scenarios that are not blocked (the support guy doesn't mention anything about them - he only says "it" referring to InsideCryptor).

About the inconsistencies, badrobot got slightly different results from Simeon Lewis, but the results are not that different. From the screenshots one can see that in both cases Injector, ReflectiveInjector and VirlockVariant are not blocked. On the Simeon's machine, the miner also ran fine and one false positive scenario was blocked. 

We've seen such results form time to time with certain AVs, but it is not a problem in Ransim. The detection methodologies used by AV engines, the performance/processing and I/O load on the machine on which the test occurs play a major in the outcome of the test. To give you an example, we saw a few cases when Windows Defender flagged a particular scenario several minutes after the test was over and attempted to quarantine it, but the executable was already erased from disk and the files remained encrypted. Another time, on the same machine, the same Ransim setup, Windows Defender didn't complain at all on the same scenario.

In conclusion, based on the somewhat limited information on that thread, we don't really see an with Ransim. Moreover, as one of the participants said, everyone can have a look at the files (they can even use their own files) and see if they are encrypted or not after the test. 

Hope this clarifies,  Warm regards, Stu