This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Odd occurrences during login for Windows 7 an d Windows 10

We have been having a lot of trouble with Windows 7 desktops freezing up during the boot up process or shortly after login.  If the workstation gets to the login it will allow log in but within the first five minutes of use the computer will lock up with the clock not updating, and often the cursor will move but no selections can be made.  The software that is running seems to not be consistent (meaning that it will freeze with different software at different times).  This behavior stops as soon as Intercept X is unloaded from the endpoint.

With Windows 10, each time a different boot happens it takes two boots to get to a login screen.  In this case a "different boot" is whether the notebook is on a dock or not.  If the last boot happens off the dock, it must be booted twice on the dock to get to a login screen, and vice versa.  This behavior also disappears when Intercept X is removed.

I have a hard time thinking that our environment is that unique.  Has anyone else seen these issues?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hey Daniel.

Do you have any other security products installed on those machines? I've not seen anything like this before but I could imagine that another vendor's security product could be causing conflicts with Intercept X. If you do have any other products on those machines, I would take a test machine and set it up with your standard build, confirm you can recreate this issue with it, and then try uninstalling any other third party security products on the machine and see if this improves the situation.

Do you have a list of software that is installed on the affected machine?

• There should be no additional security software.

This problem was witnessed in October and November of 2016.  There have been updates since that time that have addressed the problem and we are no longer seeing it.

It would be really, really nice if administrators were notified when updates are pushed out from Sophos, even minor ones.  It is very "Appelish" (you don't want to know what's under the hood) and when things start going wrong, we end up opening support requests which could be avoided and not wasting everyone's time..

• Hey Daniel.

I'm pleased to hear that a subsequent release has resolved that truly annoying boot issue you were facing.

Regarding the updates, I get the strain of not being sure about when updates come out. Sadly, threats emerge at a rate we have no way of controlling, thus we are on a continuous journey to innovate and implement new threat protection capabilities and features in our products to tackle all forms of maleficence. Along the way, some bugs do emerge and we do everything to ensure those get fixed as fast as possible. What this results in is regular updates to our products which we push out as soon as they've been through testing and are ready for release. We want to ensure you've got the best version of our product on your endpoints, the version that can protect you against the most threats and is free of the most bugs.

While I can't point you in the direction of a release calendar for Central, what I can recommend is that, if you need more structure with when your endpoints get updated, you look towards our new Updating policy: http://docs.sophos.com/sophos-cloud/customer-dashboard/help/en-us/webhelp/index.htm#concepts/ConfigureUpdatingPolicy.htm

Your account may not have been updated to receive this feature just yet but we're in the process of rolling it out at the moment. This would let you schedule what day your machines update.

And if you want to hold back on updates for a while, you can go to Endpoint Protection > Settings > Controlled Updates and suspend your machines from receiving updates for up to three months.

If you ever want to drop us a feature request, you can also do that here: http://ideas.sophos.com/forums/428821-sophos-central/

Thanks for your post!

• Hey Daniel.

I'm pleased to hear that a subsequent release has resolved that truly annoying boot issue you were facing.

Regarding the updates, I get the strain of not being sure about when updates come out. Sadly, threats emerge at a rate we have no way of controlling, thus we are on a continuous journey to innovate and implement new threat protection capabilities and features in our products to tackle all forms of maleficence. Along the way, some bugs do emerge and we do everything to ensure those get fixed as fast as possible. What this results in is regular updates to our products which we push out as soon as they've been through testing and are ready for release. We want to ensure you've got the best version of our product on your endpoints, the version that can protect you against the most threats and is free of the most bugs.

While I can't point you in the direction of a release calendar for Central, what I can recommend is that, if you need more structure with when your endpoints get updated, you look towards our new Updating policy: http://docs.sophos.com/sophos-cloud/customer-dashboard/help/en-us/webhelp/index.htm#concepts/ConfigureUpdatingPolicy.htm

Your account may not have been updated to receive this feature just yet but we're in the process of rolling it out at the moment. This would let you schedule what day your machines update.

And if you want to hold back on updates for a while, you can go to Endpoint Protection > Settings > Controlled Updates and suspend your machines from receiving updates for up to three months.

If you ever want to drop us a feature request, you can also do that here: http://ideas.sophos.com/forums/428821-sophos-central/

Thanks for your post!

Children
No Data