This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to right click and scan

Hello all,

A user I am dealing with is having trouble just trying to right click and scan with Sophos. Once he clicks "Scan with Sophos Anti-Virus", the blue wheel appears for a moment and then nothing happens, at all. No error messages or dialogues. When trying the exact same thing on an admin account, a UAC prompt asks for permission to make changes, but then again nothing appears. On another PC with the exact same privileges, the scans work quickly and well. Reinstalling Sophos didn't work either, I might add. Any ideas on what the problem could be here?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Hi  

If that is the case, I'd request you to open a support case here as this needs more logs and detailed troubleshooting.

Please PM me the case number once it is created.

Regards,

Jasmin
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Support

Sophos Support VideosKnowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts |
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link

• Hi  

Thank you for providing the logs, I can see a couple of errors under the logs: 

20200106 071214 Sophos Endpoint Defense returned an error (code: 0xc0000279) while scanning "C:\Users\admin-rdimauro\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe".
    20200106 071215 Sophos Endpoint Defense returned an error (code: 0xc0000279) while scanning "C:\Users\admin-rdimauro\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay_8wekyb3d8bbwe\GameBarElevatedFT_Alias.exe"

Error 0xc0000279 means Sophos Endpoint Defense cannot obtain a lock on the file for scanning. This can happen for a number of reasons. One reason is that the file may be temporary and may not exist anymore and/or the directory the file is in looks as though it may be temporary. We are aware of this issue regarding Edge.exe specifically and our development team is currently working on the same. It is not considered a security risk and there is no fix scheduled at this time for the release. 

To recall "On another PC with the exact same privileges, the scans work quickly and well", could you please check the logs on that machine as well where it is working fine? Are both machines on same OS? If so, also ensure that it has the latest updates provided by Microsoft. 

Shweta

Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation@SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos! - Visit Sophos Techvids
  • Hi  

I just wanted to follow up on this issue, did you manage to resolve this issue? Please let us know if any further help is required. 

Shweta

Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation@SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos! - Visit Sophos Techvids