This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is there any official word from Sophos regarding the RIPlace ransomware threat?

Nyotron is reporting a new strain of ransomware that can bypass most malware protection.  

https://www.nyotron.com/blog/nyotron-discovers-potentially-unstoppable-ransomware-evasion-technique-riplace/

I ran their test tool.  Intercept-x flagged it as a generic PUA. I made an exception for the PUA and let the test run. The tool was able to successfully encrypt my test files, which to me, indicates that Intercept-X isn't able to block it. I hope that's not the case.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply
  • Hi Matthew,

If someone is reporting a potential threat, then I think it is fair to request a sample submission; this allows SophosLabs to analyse the file and provide a suitable response as to the threat the file poses and the protection Sophos offers.

In some cases these claims or disclosures relate to a POC; as it does in this case. Sophos do take threats seriously, do not take a lack of an article to mean a lack of attention! We have various blogs, such as SophosLabs Uncut, that write about new and interesting threats; it is not possible to cover them all, and it appears in this case that we didn't. 

You highlight that the original RIPlace technique is being used in the wild, I will speak to the team and update this thread on info we can share about Thanos ransomware

Regards,

Stephen

Children