This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How does EndPoint Protection / Intercept X react to Social Engineering Invasive Pop-ups?

How does EndPoint Protection / Intercept X react to Social Engineering Invasive Pop-ups?

We had an associate that was on one web site, trying to download an Invoice, when an invasive pop-up showed up (repeated if the pop-up was closed by the 'x', using the Task bar close option, or using End Task). The pop-up is what you see below.

The pop-up was moveable, so I was able to identify the website as trendocreativelinksys.club

Sophos didn't prevent the pop-up. Thankfully, the associate knew enough to contact IS. I took screen shots, started a virus scan, and killed the IE tasks successfully. I also added another Tag, named it Social Engineering, and added that to a block in Control sites tagged in Website Management within our New Hacking Prevention Policy.

My question is mostly, is that how it should work, for first-time visits to this type of web site?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi  

The pop up/ Social Engineered ads are a part of the website content which cannot be controlled by Endpoint. However, in your case, I can be sure that the reported URL will be blocked as malicious (When would avoid the ads or any other malicious drive-by download to happen.)

In general, Sophos Antivirus can help you in avoid visiting such sites (provided you have real-time scanning-Internet enabled to block it). In the event, that site is trying to drop any malicious files on to your computer Sophos AV will scan it (Assuming it still gets to execute), Intercept X will monitor the behaviour of the file and take action on it if found suspicious (Possible ransomware). 

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi  

The pop up/ Social Engineered ads are a part of the website content which cannot be controlled by Endpoint. However, in your case, I can be sure that the reported URL will be blocked as malicious (When would avoid the ads or any other malicious drive-by download to happen.)

In general, Sophos Antivirus can help you in avoid visiting such sites (provided you have real-time scanning-Internet enabled to block it). In the event, that site is trying to drop any malicious files on to your computer Sophos AV will scan it (Assuming it still gets to execute), Intercept X will monitor the behaviour of the file and take action on it if found suspicious (Possible ransomware). 

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

Children
No Data