This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Endpoint Intercept X 2.0 impacting Performance - slow?

On a new software build of windows 10 on a T450 Lenovo, we found that at the end we installed Sophos Endpoint Intercept X 2.0 and it significantly slowed down the computer.  All aspects of the computer became slow.  On first bootup, connecting the Wifi - slow.  On login, the CPU would pin at 100% for long periods of time with high memory usage.  All applications would be slow to open, printing would be very slow. This is a new laptop i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD.

We would remove the Intercept X and the computer would return to normal operation.  Fast bootup, fast login, apps, etc...

Now for this customer, then use Trend Micro as their primary AV.  We have Sophos Intercept X added on for the extra protection. We did not have issues previously until the Intercept X Version went up to 2.0.  Has anyone else noticed a large performance hit with Intercept X 2.0?

[locked by: SupportFlo at 11:42 PM (GMT -7) on 12 Mar 2019]
Parents
  • Our machines seemingly starting getting the Intercept X 2.0.5 update around mid-June. And ever since then, a good amount of our workstations started having boot delays and some booting with certain Windows services not starting.

The only fix was to disable Intercept X on those machines.

Any one else still having problems with Intercept X even after the 2.0.5 release?

• Do you have a list of some of the services that have failed to start?

• Hi Ted Bundy,

Do you have a ticket number so that we can have a look? 

Otherwise, I suggest you reach out to Support and file a case for further review and troubleshooting.

Also, to determine which version of Intercept X is installed, double click on the Sophos icon in the System tray --> About , and look for "Sophos Intercept X" under Products. You will see the version listed there. 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• In the registry, if you create a new DWORD called ServicesPipeTimeout under the key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\

and set the value to 60000 decimal, i.e. 60 seconds from the default of 30 seconds (30000 as mentioned in the email) does everything work when you reboot?

I'm just curious if that even helps if they were given more time.
    Regards,
    Jak

• Did this work for anyone with the problem?

• Yep, i tried it on a PC and the audio service did eventually start, it made the logon extremely long & slow though. I wont be deploying this out as a fix as I would rather sopos fix the issue. But if your desperate, then it may be a workaround until sopos stops blocking.

• Tried it myself and agree the system boot time is way too long. I also noticed this is only occurring on systems with spinning HD's and not systems with SSD's. They need to fix this problem asap ;)

• I would like to move my (small) organization to Sophos Endpoint with Intercept X, but the performance with this release was too slow as described in this thread. It seems the time to resolution on this is way too long.

Is that generally the speed of working at Sophos, or is this just complicated? If it is general I will look elsewhere.

• We have Intercept X activated on all machines and don't see any impact. At least nobody complains about slow performance. Maybe because we use SSDs everywhere now?

Regards, Jelle

Sophos XG210-HA (SFOS 18.0.4) on SG210 appliances with Sandstorm and 1x AP55
    Sophos Central with Intercept X Advanced, Device Encryption, Phish Threat, Mobile Control Advanced

If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Yep if you have ssd drives you seem to be ok. But if you still have old spinning disks then look out! I agree the support is terrible. It goes to level 1 for ages, then level 2 for ages, then they acknowledge that it is a real problem & it finally goes to level 3. That's when they will fix it. They don't realise that enterprises cant work like this. It's too long to wait.

• Hi All

We've had a call with Sophos about this for quite some time with a lot of back and forth gathering logs. We have now received this update and workaround from them:

This is a sequence of events leading to services timing out and not starting

1. A service is launched, e.g. SysMain, with command line "c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k localsystemnetworkrestricted -p -s SysMain"

2. Svchost.exe has "Code Integrity Guard" mitigation enabled in
    Audit mode. This feature comes from Windows Defender settings; there is a specific override for svchost.exe.

2.This feature checks that the binaries loaded/injected into the process are signed by Microsoft, but does not block them, since it is in audit mode only.

3. Hmpalert.dll (our driver) is injected into svchost.exe process by hmpalert.sys driver.

4. Because of "Code Integrity Guard", Windows checks the signature of hmpalert.dll, using functions in code integrity dll (ci.dll).

5. Windows checks both the embedded signature, and the signature in catalog (.cat) files – this causes ALL .cat files (thousands of files) to be opened.

6. Catalog file check happens in the context of one of the services (whichever was started first); all other services are waiting on the first one to finish the signature check.

7. The check can take a long time (due to opening thousands of files). In customer's procmons, the check was taking more than 1 minute.

8. If the check takes longer than 30 seconds, the service will time out (and all other services waiting for it).

We are now looking into how we can improve this behaviour from our side - but are you able to please test the below workaround and see if this helps:

1. Open "Windows Defender Security Centre"

2. Go to "App & Browser control"

3. Scroll down and click on "Exploit protection settings"

4. Click on "Program Settings". 

5. Wait for a list with a bunch of executable names to pop up (could take more than 10 seconds)

6. Scroll down until you find "svchost.exe"

7. Press "Edit"

8. Check if "Code Integrity Guard" is enabled in "Audit only" mode. If it is enabled, turn it off (uncheck "Override system settings").

9. It might help to also disable "Arbitrary code guard" (if it is in "Audit only" mode), but it shouldn't be strictly necessary.

10. Click on "apply" to save the changes. 

11. Reboot the machine.

Note that we are not making the system less secure, since these mitigations were in audit only mode.

If this workaround helps, it believe it should possible to deploy these settings across the organization (see

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/import-export-exploit-protection-emet-xml
    ).

It seemed to work for us on a couple of machines I've tested on and am looking to roll this workaround out to the rest of the org.
    Hope this helps you guys.
    Cheers, Rob.

• Hi,

After a PS command to disable this, would this be correct? 

Set-ProcessMitigation -Name svchost.exe -disable AuditMicrosoftSigned

Reply Children
No Data