This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to temporarily disable sophos anti virus?

Hi,

I need to temporarily disable sophos anti virus to download an exam. Can anyone please explain how to do this? Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Carmen Martin,

you want to download something - what's the message or error you get?
    If this is a centrally managed installation or your personal Home installation (Windows or Mac OS X)?

Christian

• Hi Christian,

I didn't receive an error. I was told that anti virus must be temporarily disabled in order to download a program called Examplify. I have Sophos on my personal Home installation on a Mac OS X.

Carmen

• I found this: http://support.examsoft.com/h/i/286119075-disabling-sophos-antivirus

Seems like a bit of a blunt answer to any and all issues with security software blocking the exam.  "There may be problems...why not disable the whole thing".  Obviously, from a security position, it is never recommended to disable your antivirus software.  However, it's your choice at the end of the day (if it is your own computer and you are allowed to do it).  You posted on the General forum so it's hard to judge which Sophos Anti-Virus software you have. 

Sophos has different antivirus software versions (Windows, Mac, locally controlled, centrally configured by a web console).  However to disable it depends on what version you have.  Since you mention Mac OS and a home installation that narrows it down a bit.  However, it could still be centrally controlled, say through the Sophos Home web console, or locally.

If it's local, then this video should point you in the right direction...

If you're using Sophos Home your would have to log into the https://home.sophos.com/ dashboard and drill down to your computer and toggle the AV to off and then wait a minute for the setting to be relayed to the computer.  Example...

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hello Carmen and ruckus,

skimming through the documentation on the site I conjecture that the software has anti-cheating functionality ("secure exams") - e.g. closing applications that have windows open, checking if it's in a VM. Doesn't go too well together with AV. And they clearly state *While it is our recommendation and best practice to disable your antivirus programs before each exam, please be sure to re-enable your antivirus program following each exam. Might rephrase that as just before each exam.
    So IMO it's not your average there may be problems.

Christian

• Hello Carmen and ruckus,

skimming through the documentation on the site I conjecture that the software has anti-cheating functionality ("secure exams") - e.g. closing applications that have windows open, checking if it's in a VM. Doesn't go too well together with AV. And they clearly state *While it is our recommendation and best practice to disable your antivirus programs before each exam, please be sure to re-enable your antivirus program following each exam. Might rephrase that as just before each exam.
    So IMO it's not your average there may be problems.

Christian

Children
No Data