This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why has the community email system not been set up correctly - SPF and DNS issues?

I am not receiving community emails because you have not set up your community email system correctly at all. Firstly, the emails are sent FROM:noreply@mail.community.sophos.com. Whilst this is a noreply email it is clearly not meant to be used when replying. However, the way email systems use this address does mean this email address is used in the validation process of receiving the email. Problem number one: You don't have any DNS records set up for mail.community.sophos.com, so anti-spam systems are going to mark you down, immediately, for this violation. Problem two: With no DNS records for the sender's domain, there are going to be no SPF records, so, you are also going to be generating SPF errors, at your recipient's email systems.

How can an internet security company fail quite so spectacularly with setting up something so simple?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Deejinoz,

Thanks for posting your concerns. We have corrected the DNS and now (or very shortly as of writing) the issue you mentioned should be resolved.

We had some server hardware work and upgrades over the weekend and those changes affected the DNS. We misjudged the amount of time we had to update our records.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi Rukus,

I'm not seeing any changes, at all.

Received-SPF: fail (mailserver.com.au: domain of mail.community.sophos.com does not designate 161.47.52.218 as permitted sender) client-ip=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn; envelope-from=noreply@mail.community.sophos.com; helo=776615-SSBJOB01.saas.telligent.com;

Your community emails are generating hard SPF failures.

Seriously... this is more than a little embarrasing for one of the worlds leading lights in anti-spam and security systems, right now...

Regards,

David.
  • Hello ruckus and David,

a DNS query for mail.community.sophos.com returns just an A record (no MX or any other).  Furthermore, telligent sends the community mail from a different (albeit "nearby" address). As far as I can see this address has changed recently (though I can't say whether the A record also has).

Christian

• To Deejinoz:

Our present configuration is that we have SPF records for the IP addresses 161.47.52.216 and 161.47.52.218. There is also one A record. We’ve verified that these are accessible from several different geographic locations and you can test via NSLOOKUP locally. The websites DNSSTUFF or MXTOOLBOX can act as independent verification. The second of theses addresses corresponds with the SPF error in your inbound server error log. We advise you to check that these SPF records are available to you, so you can rule out problems with your local network or upstream ISP.

The A record was last amended on 13 March and the SPF records were updated 15 March.

To QC:

At present, the site managers have been given the advice that MX records are not need in this case as the mail.community.sophos.com domain is not designed to take inbound mail. Having said that, if there is evidence that the lack of MX records is contributing to this problem we will take a closer look.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi Rukus,

I'm not able to find anything for your SPF records on MXToolbox. However, running a Dig, from the G Suite Toolbox does show your SPF record and emails have started to come in, to me, again.

Cheers,

David.

• Thanks for the confirmation.  Glad the issue has been resolved.

- - - - - - - - - - - -