This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Please, help me PUA On-access detection in Sophos Linux

Hi

I have Sophos Free Linux in Kubuntu 14.04 and I necessited configure PUA on-access detect but I don't success to it ( I looked manual for savconfig in terminal ).

Any secret tip ?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • For a very good reason, this is not the correct forum. This is a firewall forum.

One of the moderators might read you request and move you to the correct forum.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• QC said:

Hello Henrique RJ,

please join Free Tools so that we can carry on in the appropriate forum.

Christian

Done !!!

• Hello Henrique RJ,

thanks for joining this group.

why not detect
    most Adware and PUAs target the "popular" OSs, Windows and OS X. Ideally the scanner should detect everything everywhere (well, some argue that it should only scan for threats to the platform it's running on). In real life you can't have everything thus the scanner has to make some trade-offs. While the scan for viruses and malware is cross-platform certain functions of the scanner (and scan for Adware and PUAs is among them) is platform-specific.

any secret tip
    I'm afraid, no.

Why do you want to for PUAs and which PUAs do you have in mind?

Christian

• QC said:

Why do you want to for PUAs and which PUAs do you have in mind?

Christian

Phishings and miners.

Remind savscan, in on-demand, accept -pua and -adware. Why, in on-access, not accept ?

Thanks
  • Hello Henrique RJ,

can't say why the -pua option is only available from the command-line. Perhaps can tell.

Christian

• Hi,

There isn't any particular reason why PUA detection is only available for savscan, it was just never requested as a feature for on-access or scheduled scans.

The PUAs we detect are (primarily) for Windows, so wouldn't detect very much on Linux.

Thanks,

Douglas.

• DouglasLeeder said:

Hi,

There isn't any particular reason why PUA detection is only available for savscan, it was just never requested as a feature for on-access or scheduled scans.

The PUAs we detect are (primarily) for Windows, so wouldn't detect very much on Linux.

Thanks,

Douglas.

Thanks  

PUAs include phishings and miners in Linux ?

• Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know for certain, but I think PUA only include Windows programs, such as Adware.

Thanks,

Douglas.

• DouglasLeeder said:

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know for certain, but I think PUA only include Windows programs, such as Adware.

Thanks,

Douglas.

But phishings and miners signatures are downloaded regularmentary in updates for savupdate.

Why on-access don't detect it ?

• Hello,

[disclaimer: just observations, no inside knowledge]
    right now there are several miners in the Latest PUAs list. Miners running on Linux are categorized as Viruses and Spyware/Trojans.

Adware and PUA for Mac OS X (like MacKeeper) detection has been added in 2015. PUA isn't AdWare, a number of legitimate software (like several programs in the Sysinternals/Microsoft PSTools collection) is classified as PUA.

signatures are downloaded
    @Henrique RJ - signatures is perhaps not the ideal term as it elicits certain connotations (especially the one that "signatures" are independent and self-contained items that the scanner uses one after the other one a file until it either gets a hit or the list is exhausted). A detection item is part of a decision network, you can think of it as a set of instructions mostly working top down, i.e. refining the assessment, calling or branching to other items in the process. A classification as AdWare is not necessarily an afterthought. In other words, detection items aren't subdivided into those for viruses, others for Trojans, and so on.

Christian

• Hello,

right now there are several miners in the Latest PUAs list. Miners running on Linux are categorized as Viruses and Spyware/Trojans.

Adware and PUA for Mac OS X (like MacKeeper) detection has been added in 2015. PUA isn't AdWare, a number of legitimate software (like several programs in the Sysinternals/Microsoft PSTools collection) is classified as PUA.

@Henrique RJ - signatures is perhaps not the ideal term as it elicits certain connotations (especially the one that "signatures" are independent and self-contained items that the scanner uses one after the other one a file until it either gets a hit or the list is exhausted). A detection item is part of a decision network, you can think of it as a set of instructions mostly working top down, i.e. refining the assessment, calling or branching to other items in the process. A classification as AdWare is not necessarily an afterthought. In other words, detection items aren't subdivided into those for viruses, others for Trojans, and so on.

Christian

Children
  • QC said:

Hello,

Christian

So Sophos in Linux don't detect phishings ?

• No has any " out off " tip to make on-access detect miners and phishings ?

Any secret tip or tweak ?

• Hello Henrique RJ,

phishings
    are a different story. There's the famous Mal/Phish-A, as you can see "all" OSs are listed as affected. But please note that the Mal/ prefix indicates that it belongs to the Viruses and Spyware category - not to AdWare and PUA. There's also the rather large Troj/Phish family, again Viruses and Spyware.
    Also note that there's "only" on-access scanning - it relies on the potentially offending content being available in scannable file. As phishings usually arrive by mail it depends on the behaviour of the mail client whether on-access gets the chance to scan the content.

miners
    as said, some miners are in the Viruses and Spyware
    , others PUA. Guess the distinction is who runs it and who profits  - if it's the user then it's likely PUA, if it's running without explicit consent then malware.

Any secret tip
    The important question is: What is your scenario? Is this a Linux desktop and you want to be protected? Are yoi worrying that you might "pass something on"? Is this a file or web server accessed by non-Linux clients? Or a gateway?

Christian

• QC said:
    Any secret tip
    The important question is: What is your scenario? Is this a Linux desktop and you want to be protected? Are yoi worrying that you might "pass something on"? Is this a file or web server accessed by non-Linux clients? Or a gateway?

Christian

Yes, it Linux desktop and I want to be protected.

• Hello Henrique RJ,

I see. There's AFAIK nothing that's categorized as Adware or PUA for Linux. The Linux biotope is different from the ones for Windows or OS X. As there are reputable repositories for all kinds of (open and free) software you're much less likely to install a something from somewhere.
    Having said that, browsing is the most likely cause for annoyance - but what could be caught by on-access scanning is mostly platform dependent and no problem on Linux.

Christian

• But, Why Sophos detect phishings in Windows and not in Linux ?

• Any hot tip ?

oh come on people, I need one tweaking configuration for Sophos Linux to detect phishings, adwares, PUAs and miners in on-access ( the assinatures exists, it's downloaded every weeks, I look that ).

thks

• Hello Henrique RJ,

why did you choose Linux as your desktop OS in the first place? No offence intended but wanting to tweak security software and being afraid of phishing does IMO not really fit together.

Christian

• QC said:

Hello Henrique RJ,

why did you choose Linux as your desktop OS in the first place? No offence intended but wanting to tweak security software and being afraid of phishing does IMO not really fit together.

Christian

Christian

Actually I considere Windows 10 extremally problematic.

Look for this list in image:

The select file is a " phis-clu.ide "

It's a phishing assignature in the directory /opt/sophos-av/lib/sav/ downloaded in 27th may 2018

Why Sophos AV Linux don't detect it ( on-access ) ?

Who activate this detection in on-access ?

That is a question.

Thanks !!!