Could not contact Primary Server

Got this message when updating Sophos Home Edition for Mac:

Could not contact Primary Server. URL Error: 3 July 2015

Mac OS X 10.10.4

Sophos Home Edition 9.2.4

As I'm in Australia and this is first report for 3rd July, am thinking this may be a cloud error with Sophos infrastructure.

If not, there's something else amiss... have cleared cache and restarted.

:1021170
  • Same problem. 6:41 Israel time.

    :1021176
  • Hope this helps.

    Richards-iMac:~ richarddahl$ ping dci.sophosupd.com
    PING sophos-1.hs.llnwd.net (95.140.224.160): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 95.140.224.160: icmp_seq=0 ttl=58 time=114.191 ms
    64 bytes from 95.140.224.160: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=96.908 ms
    64 bytes from 95.140.224.160: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=152.376 ms
    64 bytes from 95.140.224.160: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=90.373 ms
    64 bytes from 95.140.224.160: icmp_seq=4 ttl=58 time=68.236 ms
    64 bytes from 95.140.224.160: icmp_seq=5 ttl=58 time=67.888 ms
    64 bytes from 95.140.224.160: icmp_seq=6 ttl=58 time=83.124 ms

    Richards-iMac:~ richarddahl$ ping dc1.sophosupd.com
    ping: cannot resolve dc1.sophosupd.com: Unknown host

    Richards-iMac:~ richarddahl$ ping dc2.sophosupd.com
    ping: cannot resolve dc2.sophosupd.com: Unknown host

    Richards-iMac:~ richarddahl$ dig dig dci.sophosupd.com cname +short
    sophos-1.hs.llnwd.net.

    :1021178
  • Hey

    Sorry, I just noticed this mesasge. Can you confirm if you're still experiencing this issue? I did some research and it looks like there may have been a brief interuption with our CDN last night, but it should resolved at this point. 

    :1021184
  • Still getting the error.

    Logs shows (local AUS time)

    com.sophos.autoupdate: Proceed with manually triggered update from Sophos at 08:14:59 04 July 2015
    com.sophos.autoupdate: Updating catalogue information at 08:14:59 04 July 2015
    com.sophos.autoupdate: Catalogue updated at 08:15:02 04 July 2015
    com.sophos.autoupdate: Download started at 08:15:02 04 July 2015
    com.sophos.autoupdate: Error: Failed to download packages at 08:15:12 04 July 2015
    com.sophos.autoupdate: Error: Could not contact primary server at 08:15 on 04 July 2015
    com.sophos.autoupdate: URL is invalid
    com.sophos.autoupdate:

    Seems like the list required can be contacted but not the actual updates.

    :1021192
  • Still have the problem: 4 July 2015 20:51 Israel time

    :1021199
  • FWIW, I connected my Mac to the Internet via my iPhone's 3G connection. iPhone is through Telstra, landline via Optus.

    Updating through Telstra worked - am now at v 9.2.7

    So it must be to do with my ISP & the CDN. Has never been a problem in the past, hopefully they'll sort it out.

    :1021200
  • Is there any info you can give me about your CDN that will let me take this up with Optus?

    :1021202
  • I'm getting the same error message.  

    Landline and mobile are both with Optus, so I can't update at all.  Hope you can find a way to help!

    :1021203
  • Hi

    I'm getting the same error and my provider is Optus. Never had this before 2 days ago.

    Error: Failed to download packages at 12:20:54 06 July 2015
    Error: Could not contact primary server at 12:20 on 06 July 2015
    com.sophos.autoupdate: URL is invalid

    Any ideas what I can do?

    Thanks

    :1021206
  • Just started getting the message "Could not contact primary server" when autoupdate tries to run. Happening on all 3 of my Macs. Knowledge base article does not help so I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same problem.

    any ideas?

    :1021207
  • Same here (July 6) and my provider is also Optus.

    :1021208
  • Hey everyone, 


    Thanks for letting us know about the issue. I've escalated to our Operations team and will let you know as soon as I have an update. 

    :1021216
  • This is a msg I recieved right after the latest Mac update.

    I deleted Sophos and re-installed but still got the same msg.

    Hoping a solution can be found!

    :1021228
  • An update FWIW:

    Having successfully updated via my Telstra connection, Sophos is now at v 9.2.7 and is updating normally via Optus. So is now working for me.

    Bit odd though. Cheers.

    :1021230
  • Thanks for your patience, everyone. We're still investigating this issue, and I'll post an update as soon as I hear back. 

    :1021231