This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problems connecting to Facebook and other websites - when Sophos AV is on...

I know that Sophos for Mac is free, and that's great, thanks!
I've been using it trouble free for several years now on all my Macs. I'm currently running Yosemite - 10.10.5 on both MacBook Air & iMac.
I have it (version 9.4.0) on my MacBook Air, no problems at all - I have it on the iMac too.

But since Facebook went down on Thursday last, I haven't been able to get back into Facebook on the iMac... the hyperlinks hang on the left of the page.
Works in Safe Boot though...

After re-installing the OS - TWICE - I end up having a web chat to a senior Apple Support guy who suggests switching off Little Snitch and Sophos - and guess what?
It is Sophos that is the problem...

(Having just invested in Sophos shares when it came to market the other month, I'm a bit narked!!)

Has anyone else had this problem with Sophos AV?

I like Sophos, it is nicer to use than Intego and Kaspersky, and seems to be less resource hungry...

Does anyone have any ideas, please, what, if any, settings or configurations can be changed to solve the problem??

Thanks, in advance!!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Well, it goes to show that brilliant as the Apple Agents are, they don't know it all when it comes to third party software - and in fairness, how can they. BUT the time, patience and diligence showed by William at Sophos went beyond the call of duty... The problem eventually came down to some weird rules that Little Snitch had decided upon... (this would not have shown in Safe Boot). This prevented Sophos web proxy access to certain sites... After resetting the rules on Little Snitch to "Factory Defaults" everything now works seamlessly! "Thanks!" to William at Sophos! I am more than pleased with the effort you put into sorting this really annoying problem! (I got to learn a bit about what one can do with Terminal unix commands too!)
  • Well, it goes to show that brilliant as the Apple Agents are, they don't know it all when it comes to third party software - and in fairness, how can they. BUT the time, patience and diligence showed by William at Sophos went beyond the call of duty... The problem eventually came down to some weird rules that Little Snitch had decided upon... (this would not have shown in Safe Boot). This prevented Sophos web proxy access to certain sites... After resetting the rules on Little Snitch to "Factory Defaults" everything now works seamlessly! "Thanks!" to William at Sophos! I am more than pleased with the effort you put into sorting this really annoying problem! (I got to learn a bit about what one can do with Terminal unix commands too!)
Children