This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uninstalling the Sophos Management Server

Hi,

I'm attempting to uninstall the Sophos Management Server 5.2.1 from Windows Server 2012 R2 but the uninstaller only gets so far and then rolls back on itself.

I had been following: https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/116912.aspx

I realise this is intended for version 5.1 but I was just loosely following the order in which to uninstall the separate components.  However, when I get to the Management Server component it fails there and I'm just left with a some events in the Event Viewer saying the services like the sophos patch server communicator, sophos patch endpoint orchestrator, sophos patch endpoint communicator "were unable to log on as Domain\Sophosadmin with the currently configured password due to the following error: The user name or password is incorrect." with other associated events such as these services failed to start and terminated unexpectedly. 

I've attempted to reset the password for the SophosAdmin account and restart them, and they start again fine but when I run the uninstaller again the same things happen, they seem to forget the password and around in a loop it goes again.

I've looked around the various support documents but am unable to find any more detailed information on to try next.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • What ended up doing the trick for me was running the removal through an elevated command prompt.  

You'll need to know the uninstall string beforehand though.  To get this (on 64-bit OS architecture):

1. Launch and elevated command prompt, and open the registry editor (regedit.exe).  
    2. Navigate to the following registry key:   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall 
    3. Scroll through the keys, look looking for the "Display Name" string that has a value of "Sophos Management Server".  Open the "UninstallString" value and copy the contents.  
    4. Return or open a new elevated command prompt, and paste the string value copied from Step 2.  Validate the command is correct before execution!  Once validated, execute the removal and follow the on-screen prompt to complete the removal.  
    5. After completion, verify the program has been removed by launching the Programs and Features window through the Control Panel or appwiz.cpl at the command prompt. Once verified that it no longer appears on the list of programs, reboot the server to complete the removal.  
  • Just had a similar issue trying to uninstall Sophos Management Server 5.5 from Server 2012 R2. 

Was failing with a Spring.NET 0x80040154 - Class not registered error. 

Found a Sophos KB that recommended running a repair on .net but running the uninstall from an elevated command prompt resolved.

Thanks

Asim

• Just had a similar issue trying to uninstall Sophos Management Server 5.5 from Server 2012 R2. 

Was failing with a Spring.NET 0x80040154 - Class not registered error. 

Found a Sophos KB that recommended running a repair on .net but running the uninstall from an elevated command prompt resolved.

Thanks

Asim

Children
No Data