This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Most Clients Shown As 'Disconnected' in SEC 5.5.0

Hi folks,

We are running Sophos Enterprise Console (SEC) 5.5.0 on a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise (64-bit) Server.

I have recently noticed that more than 50% of our client PCs to which Sophos Endpoint Security & Control has been deployed are shown as 'disconnected' in SEC. I have carried out a ping-sweep of the network and can confirm that most, if not all, of these PCs are actually powered on, connected to the network and working fine.

Only after I restart the Sophos Message Router Service on the client PCs do they then change their status to 'connected' in SEC. I have no wish to carry this task out on several hundred client PCs individually as you can imagine, so I'm hoping someone can possibly shed some light on what may be happening here and suggest a solution to this issue?

Many thanks,

John P

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I'm sure there will be others offering advice, but from my experience, it's most likely that the Remote Management System (RMS) that cannot communicate on the required ports.  You can try with the telnet command from the server to the endpoint and vice versa on the required ports.

You may like to watch the video below on setting up a GPO to allow the required ports (this means you don't have to go round to each computer).  Watch from the 9 minute mark...

There is also the deployment guide which mentions the ports. http://www.sophos.com/deployment - click the 'Allowing computers to report' link on the right-hand rail.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• ruckus, I don't think this is the correct answer although it's on the right track.  I've been having this issue and recently changed the the Sophos Update Manager as well as the Sophos Message Router services to delayed start.  I don't recall at this point as to whether one of both of these fixed the issue, but the servers been restarted several times and I no longer have issues with disconnected clients showing up in the console nor do I show the update server not being updated.

I seen where a Sophos staff person added to this thread where there was a fix coming out later this year, but there's no update since then.

Thanks.

• Hello Frapster,

no update since then
    indeed it looks like - RMS' version (4.1.1.127) hasn't changed for a long time and I assume any change would have resulted in an updated version number.
    SUM doesn't talk to the endpoints and the logs indicate that the problem is with the Message Router so it's the delayed start of the latter that makes the difference.

Christian

• Hello Frapster,

no update since then
    indeed it looks like - RMS' version (4.1.1.127) hasn't changed for a long time and I assume any change would have resulted in an updated version number.
    SUM doesn't talk to the endpoints and the logs indicate that the problem is with the Message Router so it's the delayed start of the latter that makes the difference.

Christian

Children
  • Hi All,

Just a quick question, Can I install SEC 5.5.1 in my local PC since in Server its 5.5.0 is running. If yes, then can use the same license key of 550 in 551?

Thanks

Regards

Faisal

• Hello Faisal,

first of all, no key is required for installation (license details are just used to configure downloads in SUM).

Are you talking about a Remote Console? If so, server and remote consoles must have the same version.
    If you're talking about installing a "test server" on the PC - full installations are independent.

Christian