This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SEC 5.3.1 > 5.5.0 upgrade problems removing encryption

Hi

We have Sophos SEC 5.3.1 installed but held off upgrading as we have a small handful of 2003 servers which until mid-feb would no longer be supported by Sophos. Having now realised this is no longer the case we started the upgrade to 5.5.0.

Having previously used Sophos encryption (now moved to bitlocker) I have the encryption module installed in SEC but I no longer have the 5.3.1 installer to remove it as part of the 5.5.0 upgrade requirements. Sophos supports answer was:

"I cannot provide with a link for SEC 5.3.1 as its not supported and its an old version.
I hope this answers your query."

Well..............no it doesnt! There is a lonk to 5.1 under legacy download but this doesnt help. How am i supossed to remove encryption??

Any ideas or advice?

thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I just ran into the same thing.  Client is on 5.3.1 and I'm not able to upgrade without the old files.

I did PM WomboCombo.

What is the reason for taking the old versions offline when it's known people will need them to complete an upgrade?

• Hello Travis Hershberger,

[disclaimer: I'm not Sophos and it's anyway my personal view only]

the reason for taking the old versions offline
    is simply that only supported (i.e. not yet retired) versions are available for download (with the exception of 5.1)

people will need them
    SEC 5.3.1, which IIRC came out Q3 2015, brought a minor modification to 5.3.0 when FDE was already scheduled for retirement. It was the last in a series of rather frequent updates after 5.1, namely 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.1 R2, 5.2.2, and 5.3 and expected to be replaced soon (actually it was about half a year later) by 5.4.0 that brought full support for Windows 8.1+ and the corresponding Windows Server versions.
    I think that immediately after retirement of SEC 5.3.1 only the 5.1 legacy package (to facilitate an upgrade of even older SEC versions or SCC) was available, later - probably in response to great demand - many if not all in-between legacy versions were on the downloads page for a few months.

Given that 5.3.1 and also 5.4.0 have long since been retired there shouldn't really be a need.

Christian

• I completely agree with you that nobody should still be on a version so old as 5.3.1 is.  That doesn't change the fact that we have a couple new client companies that are still on this old version.

I suppose I could, in theory, remove all the Sophos installs on all the things manually and reinstall from scratch.  At that point I'd just be dropping Sophos for Windows Defender and managing it via AD instead because of the crazy amount of extra hours Sophos caused me to work.

remove all the Sophos installs on all the things manually
    I've never tested if the REMOVE=Encryption requires the original MSI or also works (I assume it does) with the cached one (that is used for uninstall).

You say client companies so I assume you provide some kind of support. Are these really same-server upgrades to 5.5.1? Or is the final goal a migration to another server?
    I haven't chaecked lately but I assume that the method mentioned here still works.

Christian

remove all the Sophos installs on all the things manually
    I've never tested if the REMOVE=Encryption requires the original MSI or also works (I assume it does) with the cached one (that is used for uninstall).

You say client companies so I assume you provide some kind of support. Are these really same-server upgrades to 5.5.1? Or is the final goal a migration to another server?
    I haven't chaecked lately but I assume that the method mentioned here still works.

Christian

Children
No Data