This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade 5.3.0 to 5.5.0

I have a question regarding the upgrade from Enterprise Console 5.3.0 to 5.5.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and local database.  
During the upgrade, will there be any messages on the client machines, or will anything alert the users about this?  I have never upgraded our Sophos product before but I have upgraded a Symantec product in my previous employment and it would alert the user if it could not connect to the server for any reason.  

I am just trying to see if there are any issues with upgrading this during the day and not making it a "maintenance night" upgrade. 

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Supreme CourtHelpdesk,

if you (have to) reboot the server the endpoints won't be able to access the share and updating will fail. As users are only alerted when it fails twice in a row the share has to be unavailable for at least an updating interval. Normally the default 10 minutes are sufficient for a server to restart to the point where the share is available, so the users shouldn't notice at all.
    I do it always during the day (not too early, not too late, never on Fridays [;)]), never had any complaints (some 5000 endpoints).

Christian   

• Thanks for the reply.  I will go ahead and start the upgrade when I get the chance.  I'm guessing I should have no problems upgrading from 5.3.0?  I have read through KB articles for this update and I didn't see anything that would hinder this installation. 

most upgrades are without problems - this your first?

Christian

• First upgrade for me on this software.  I went ahead and started it just after lunch, and wouldn't you know the darn thing wouldn't start.  Got a database upgrade error and upgradedb.exe needed to be ran with the -reset switch at the end.  I tried a few things myself but had to go ahead and call support.  They got me fixed up. 

Thanks

• First upgrade for me on this software.  I went ahead and started it just after lunch, and wouldn't you know the darn thing wouldn't start.  Got a database upgrade error and upgradedb.exe needed to be ran with the -reset switch at the end.  I tried a few things myself but had to go ahead and call support.  They got me fixed up. 

Thanks

Children

a database upgrade error
    known to happen but you can't predict them. As SEC user since version 1.0 (bragging yet again my kid would grumble), two production servers, test environment, a number of server migrations, and partaking in several Betas I've made some 30 upgrades. Had two of these errors, one of them during a Beta and the other on a server with a long history. I don't think it's a "typical" error so I didn't mention it. The -reset and rerun did it in both cases anyway.  
    Thanks for the final report.

Christian

• Hi QC, 

I've a same question with db upgrading to v5.5 SEC , it seem if SEC have upgraded before(like 5.0 to 5.2 )

5.2 upgrading to 5.5 will failed , i try copy this situation on my lab , it same issue with during on upgrading . 

upgrade.exe or another kb i have try and not work, so ... any idea with this?

• Hello YuzenChen,

it's definitely not generally the upgrade to 5.5.0 - we'd have heard. It definitely not an upgrade from an upgraded version (one of my servers started with 4.5 and is now on 5.5.0). Also the issues seem to be with different source versions - again it doesn't look like a general bug.

Question is, at which point did the upgrade fail? Before install (i.e. precondition), during install (upgrade of one or more components failed, attempted rollback), or after install (i.e. the database upgrade attempted by the management service after the installer has completed)? If the latter UpgradeBD.exe -reset followed by UpgradeDB.exe -sourceVersion=5nn often solves the issue.
    This is an in-place upgrade with the database local?

Christian

• Hi QC, 

When i upgrading , this situation is scenario 3 issue . 

I try scenario 3 workaround , on step 2, re-run install cannot choise management console (is direct upgrade all) then show failed.

I find error log :
    =======================================
    2017/5/25 上午 10:14:32, INFO : upn found: 管理者備份@taiwanclear.corp
    2017/5/25 上午 10:14:32, INFO : Changed installation value: SERVER_UPN="管理者備份@taiwanclear.corp"
    2017/5/25 上午 10:14:32, ERROR : Could not transform the account 管理者備份@taiwanclear.corp to NET bios format for console.msi. TranslateName API returned: 1317 - The specified account does not exist.
  • Hello YuzenChen,

apparently it fails to process the Database Account (the value for SERVER_UPN). Can't say why it fails if it has worked with this account for the installed version. I'd suggest using an account with Latin characters.

Christian

• Hi QC, 

I've done with this case,  i change sophos admin and then upgrade to 5.5 is succeed. 

Thank your reply  .