This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Message Relay

Hello,

I have configured Message Relay i DMZ and like I find in instructions, set it to work as Messager Relay and Distribution Point for Updates. After that I'm not albe to download updates while open only ports 8192 and 8194. When I open all ports I'm able to download updates for client. Is it planed that Sophos Client be able to download update through those two ports? 

Also, is it possible to configure Sophos Messager Relay onli to work as message relay,not an update distribution point?

I read all articles that I find on Internet (mainly on community.sophos.com) but not able to find some answers. 

Any help would be usefull.

Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Nemanja Ilic [you're not the handball or the football player, are you?],

it's not necessary to install an update manager (SUM) in order to use a server as Message Relay. Or is Distribution Point just a share on the server which is (or should be) updated from your central server?

As you mention DMZ: Is the MR for the endpoints (e.g. laptops) not o the LAN so that they are able to communicate with the SEC? Where do (or should) they update from? Guess it's not \\SECserver\SophosUpdate - do you have a WebCID or should the update from Sophos directly?

only ports 8192 and 8194 [...] I'm not able to download updates
    from where to where, DMZ ↔ LAN (SECserver)?
    Who is I - the message relay? Please not that ports 8192 and 8194 are for management communication (RMS) only. Updates require either NetBIOS (445 or the legacy 13x ports) or HTTP.

Christian

• Thenk You Christian for fast resopnse, [not football and handball player :)]

My plan was to use MR server in DMZ for laptops when thay are outside my LAN network, so that thay can comunicate with sophos management console (for reporting and ...) and to be able to update from that MR server. Secondary update server in update policy is SOPHOS.

First I install MR on workgroup sesrver Windows 2012 R2, but there was some problems so I instoll it on domain server Win 2012R2. Is it problem for server to be in workgroup (it is batter for security and because it is in DMZ)? 

Now, I understand that I have to open port 445 or http from outside for update. I'm not shure if it would be allowd in my network. 

So, what is procedure for set MR only to work as Message Relay?  How can I change mrinit.conf? (I find that file when I update distribution point, and all folders mentioned in instruction I find on share for DP). And how to update clients in that case to user MR server for Message Relay when I in update polixy put sophos management console for update server (how would client find corect mrinit file)?

Nemanja

• Hello Nemanja,

let's start with the outside endpoints. They could use Sophos as Secondary and communicate via a message relay this has a drawback though: They can't update RMS from Sophos (and will report updating errors because of this). This might or might not be acceptable but they should regularly come in and stay on the LAN long enough for an update.

If you create a WebCID (webserver or proxy in the DMZ) then updating RMS wouldn't be an issue.

DP: You main server by default deploys to \\Server\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP. You can add another UNC location, there you'd edit mrinit.conf as described and put it in the \rms subdirectory. In the console create one or more groups (and move the endpoints in question and the MR into them), an updating policy pointing to this additional DP, and assign the new policies to these groups (thus the endpoints "find" the mrinit.conf through their updating policy). 

With a SUM+MR in the DMZ (you have to follow this procedure to install it) it'd be perhaps less complicated, the CID on the DMZ SUM would be the "other" DP (published as WebCID). You'd need just one updating policy containing the UNC path to the main server as Primary and the WebCID as Secondary. LAN endpoints update from UNC, outside endpoints from the WebCID (which also tells them to use the MR). The drawback is you'll see updating errors for the outside clients telling you the couldn't update via UNC. This might or might not be acceptable though.

All this is not as complicated as it sounds once you've familiarized yourself with the concepts. And - there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Christian 

• Hello Christian,

One more question. Is it normal that mrinit.conf file in location \\ServerMR\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP changing after while to old data (same thata that are on "MRParentAddress"). In folder \rms mrinit.conf is pointing to SophosMR server. Is it ok or I didn't setup sometnihg correctly?

I'll configure my SophosMR in DMZ like MR and UpdateDP for outside users trhough port 80 and let You know how is it working. 

Thank You for assistance.

Nemanja

• Hello Nemanja,

mrinit.conf [...] changing after while to old data
    yes, this is the expected behaviour (and one reason that you have to put it into the \rms subdirectory).

Christian

• Christian,

Is there any combination of settings that I'm ablu to see on my management console if my outside computers are up to data? 

Im my test network I configure endpoints that update from Sophos MR in DMZ (this server iz SUM and MR). Open ports 80, 8192 and 8194. Update from sophos MR is working, but on management console there is message that this computer is not up to data. On my other comuter, I block port 80 and it is not able to update from MR, and there is same message not up to data, but there is also message:  Error: coul'd not find a sorce for update package... (which is ok). 

How endpoints comunicate with management console through MR?  I thougt that MR is used to collect information about endpoints and send it to Sophos Server.

Nemanja

• Hello Nemanja,

not up to date [...] couldn't not find a source
    in the console please open the Computer Details for an outside endpoint. Note the Last message received from computer, is it more recent than Time next package became available? Is there a date for Time installed package became available? Also in the Update managers view please check the Last updated for your MR/SUM) and if there is an alert or error.
    Other than the not up to date - are there updating errors shown for the endpoints? Their Primary update location is HTTP from the MR, isn't it?

Christian

• Hello Christian,

Computer COMP1 that is in the netwokr with open port 80 is updating from MR by http. That computer is in red status (not connectid), but it is on line, it's updating regulary but no information about that. It last message received from computer is 1/30/2017 and next package will be available is also 1/30/2017. 

Computer COMP2 that is in the network with closed port 80 is not updating (which is expected), it is with update errors:  coud'n find a source for update package (it is expected also) and in it's computer details Last message received from computer is 2/1/2017 but next package will be available is 1/30/2017 which is a litle strange to me. This computer is green (is connected to management console). It also updating from MR trhough http and there is message that it's not up to data (and that is also on client side, which is expected because port 80 is closed).

Why COMP1 showing that it is not up to data and not receive message from  computer to server, but it is up to data? Client is correctly updated. Why is this computer not connected.

Why COMP2 is showing that it is connected to Sophos Server Console but it is not updated.

Those are some questions that I don't understand how Sophos MR wokr, and is there any configuration that I'm able to see which computer is up to data correctly while it is updating through MR.

Thenks,

Nemanja

• Hello Nemanja,

did you install the SUM/MR with the new mrinit.conf as per Deploying a message relay and SUM installation via the SUM bootstrap executable setup.exe? Only endpoints will reconfigure RMS if mrinit.conf is placed in teh \rms subdirectory. Please see also this thread on how to check if your MR is indeed a message relay.

If the outside endpoints are updating from the correct CID they'll want to use the "child" SUM as message relay. Thus if the SUM/MR doesn't (know that it should) act as relay SEC won't know about the endpoints' status.

The Next package ...  (it's Next not Last that is, and in this context package means a specific combination of software, detection data , and additional IDEs) is what determines the Not since ..., . To emphasize, updating and reporting are distinct channels.

Christian

• Christian,

to install SophosMR I used articles: 14635, 50832, video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lMVMlaknEs (not this one about via the SUM bootstrap). mrinit.conf is placed in the \rms subdirectory. When I check MR it says: RMS router type  is message relay. I setup endpoints to update from MR. And for test MR is only update location (secundary location in policy is empty).

Nemanja