This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature Request: Remote Uninstall client software

Hi, it would be nice to uninstall/reinstall client software from the console.

Are there any plans?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • CANNOT UNINSTALL!

Have loved using Sophos for 2 years now on my MAC but it went sideways about a month ago. Sophos now does not start (stays grey) when I wake my computer.  Have updated and restarted several times.  Went to preferences and Sophos says the on access scanner is off even though it shows it is on.  Changed settings and locked computer but did not help.  Tried to uninstall and reinstall but won't let me use the Remove Sophos Endpoint but it tells me uninstall failed.

Really frustrated with a product that has worked so well.  Anyone have an idea to help?  Thanks!

• We need to uninstall Sophos from over 150 clients is there a fast way to do this from SEC we have decided to go with another AV system. 

• Hello Standlee Forage,

short answer: SEC does not provide the means for uninstalling.

Longer answer: In theory if you can use Protect Computers you could create an Initial Install Source containing a setup.exe that executes an uninstall script. But then, if you can use Protect you likely can also execute an uninstall script remotely without the help from SEC.

Christian

• i have the script I built where would I go to  create an Initial Install Source containing a setup.exe

• Hello Standlee Forage,

as said, if you can use Protect on (all) your endpoints you likely can use something like psexec.exe or a GPO to run the script. I haven't done it, didn't have the requirement to uninstall. Just once ran an arbitrary program as POC so there's no guarantee it will work. SEC will give you feedback whether it could create and start the task, IIRC you'll eventually get an error anyway as the endpoint is not communicating via Sophos' RMS as SEC expects.

SEC (or rather the endpoint) expects a setup.exe (please note it has to be an .exe) in <Initial Install Source>\CIDs\Snnn\SAVSCFXP\, where Initial Install Source is a share that is accessible like your SophosUpdate share (it could be a subdirectory) and Snnn is the subdirectory associated with the subscription in the updating policy (default is S000). E.g. you specify the Initial Install Source as \\server\SophosUpdate\Uninstall and put the setup.exe in \\server\SophosUpdate\Uninstall\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP.

Christian   

• I appreciate the help on this thank you I hope you have a great day :) 

• If we can't uninstall the software, is there a way to disable it from getting updates?  We sold a location and wasn't able to get Sophos off all the computers before we were locked out of the systems, so I can't run a batch job or access the computers to uninstall the software.

I agree with other users...this is ridiculous that Sophos doesn't have the foresight to give the ability to remotely uninstall the software.

Thanks,

Susan

• It's not really suprising, if you put yourself in the shoes of a Product Manager.  We want to have x, y, z new feature for protection or we want to give people the option to remove the software.  The option to uninstall the software isn't going to make the cut.

The Central install comes with a cli silent uninstaller so if you can run that by any means your OK.

A simple batch file to run a few MSI commands to remove the software just isn't too difficult for the SEC managed EP. 

If you're moving to another vendor, there is a chance it has a competitor removal tool and if you're going to have to run the installer for some other product, then you probably have the managemet ability to remove Sophos.

Jak

• That's not an argument I buy as other AV vendors allow for it.  The AV company we used prior to Sophos had it.  Again, can't access the computer so I have no means to uninstall now though the computer contacts the Sophos system to get updates.  There should be a way to uninstall/disable computers so they don't use up our licenses.

Reply Children
No Data