This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Decode Operation Failed with Unexpected Error.

Hey all,

Fresh install of Sophos Enterprise Console on Server 2012. No issues with installation. Entered in the username/password for update.

However, the Update Manager cannot download any updates. In the logs, I see this:

4/8/2016 9:30:47 AM Error Decode operation failed with an unexpected error. Details: Failed to read customer file content.
4/8/2016 9:30:47 AM Error Version information for product 'Sophos Update Manager' was not gathered by dispatcher 'DispatcherSupplements-2016-04-08T13-30-47-2', as the last synchronization of that product failed.
4/8/2016 9:30:47 AM Error Decode operation failed with an unexpected error. Details: Failed to read customer file content.
4/8/2016 9:30:47 AM Error Version information for product 'Sophos Patch Server' was not gathered by dispatcher 'DispatcherSupplements-2016-04-08T13-30-47-2', as the last synchronization of that product failed.
4/8/2016 9:30:47 AM Error Version information for product 'Sophos Enterprise Console' was not gathered by dispatcher 'DispatcherSupplements-2016-04-08T13-30-47-2', as the last synchronization of that product failed.
4/8/2016 9:30:47 AM Error Version information for product 'Windows Endpoint Security and Control' was not gathered by dispatcher 'DispatcherSupplements-2016-04-08T13-30-47-2', as the last synchronization of that product failed.
4/8/2016 9:30:47 AM Error Synchronize operation failed when synchronizing protection data. Details: Corrupted local customer file.
4/8/2016 9:30:02 AM Error Decode operation failed with an unexpected error. Details: Failed to read customer file content.
4/8/2016 9:30:02 AM Error Version information for product 'Sophos Update Manager' was not gathered by dispatcher 'DispatcherPrograms-2016-04-08T13-29-56-4', as the last synchronization of that product failed.

I've stopped the service and deleted everything in the Warehouse and Working (though I've never seen files in the Working folder, yet). Did not resolve.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Taylor,

Logs show "Failed to read customer file content." Do you get any files in your Warehouse folder at all?

Could you confirm you can access the following from your SEC server:

dci.sophosupd.com

dci.sophosupd.net

If so, I would then check any device that does web filtering on your network, like a perimeter firewall. It could be that the file is being blocked by such device.

Let us know how this goes

Good day,

Voicu.

• Hi Taylor,

I've  just installed a trial Sophos Enterprise Console in my enviroment and hit the same error. May I know have you resovled your issue and how?

This method didn't resolved my issue https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-US/66176

I could access the link below successful without error.

dci.sophosupd.com

dci.sophosupd.net

By the way, we use Sophos SG330 in our environment without enble web filtering.

Thank you.

• Hello kfwo,

are there files and folders in %ProgramData%\Sophos\Update Manager\Update Manager\Warehouse\ and is there a sumcf.dat in its \catalogue\ subfolder? Its contents should be an xml file with appended signature and certificates.

Christian

• Hello QC,

I have the same problem at the moment on 4 SUMs. I cannot find any subfolder in the path you specified.

We tried reinstalling SUM both without uninstalling and uninstalling. 

Server can reach both dci.sophosupd.com  and dci.sophosupd.net

How can we solve?

Thanks,

• Hello MarcoFioramonti.

on 4 SUMs
    all are updating from Sophos and showing the same symptoms?
    cannot find any subfolder
    the \Warehouse\ is completely empty or are there at least some files (including a fileliststore.dat)? As has been mentioned in other threads one possible cause is interference by a gateway (e.g. webfilter). Has it worked before and suddenly stopped working (but then, then \Warehouse\ should be populated unless you've cleaned it)? 

Christian

• Hello Christian,

in our case SUM were misconfigured on the Enterprise Console. After correcting the configuration all went fine. Symptoms were just the same.

Thanks for your support,

Marco

• Hello Marco,

thanks for the update.
    What kind of misconfiguration was it? I'm asking because this could help others - while "check your configuration" is some advice it isn't extremely helpful as we all are sure we've configured everything correctly, aren't we [;)]? And personally I'm curious how to evoke this symptom other than with a gateway [:)]

Christian 

• Hello Christian,

Simply we did not find any entry in the "sources" tab (first tab in the SUM configuration window - i don't know if it's "sources" because we have SEC translated into Italian).

And then we checked the "subscriptions" tab was ok.

Marco.