This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enterprise Console - Software Update Failed

Hi all,

I thought I would share a recent experience we had in relation to our Enterprise Console showing a "Software Update Failed" error message. The Update Manager logviewer showed a lot of errors, among them:

"Failed to update the log viewer dictionary. Customer file exceeds limit" & "Failed to check update source status. Customer file size exceeds limit".

Sophos Support pointed me in the direction of a Knowledge Base article (https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-US/121721) to attempt to resolve the issue. Unfortunately for us, it didn't work out. However, the article did mention that if a gateway product is in use, check whether HTTP Compression is enabled.

As it happens we do have a MS Forefront Threat Management Gateway (TMG 2010) as a gateway, and HTTP Compression is enabled. The Knowledge Base article didn't indicate how HTTP Compression should be configured on the TMG 2010 appliance to rectify the problem but, after a bit of tinkering about, we managed to get the issue resolved.

On the MS TMG 2010 appliance (under configuration of HTTP Compression) we added the external IP Addresses that Enterprise Console was requesting updates from to the Exceptions in the Request Compressed Data tab. The effectively meant that the gateway (acting as a proxy) would not request compressed content from the online Sophos update servers. This seemed to do the trick and Enterprise Console is no longer displaying errors.

I thought that I would post this in case someone had a similar issue.

Best regards,

John P

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi John,

Its a shame i didn't read this before i opened my support ticket!

the addresses that i needed to exclude from the HTTP compression are these two.

dci.sophosupd.com

and

dci.sophosupd.net 

as these two addresses contain the dat file linked to your licence and that's what the sophos console moans about. And what makes this error even more fun is that the MS TMG 2010 log doesn't contain an error, but in the decompression rate has a crazy value which made me think that something wasn't right with the TMG compression.

All the best

Simon

• Hi Simon,

Glad to hear our experience was of some help to somebody else. It was a bit of a headache for us too!!

However, hopefully it will be something that won't trouble us much in the future as we have pushed the boat out and are replacing our TMG 2010 with a shiny new pair of Sophos SG450 UTM Hardware Appliances!!!

Good luck in the future.

Best regards,

John P

2 x SG450 (Version 9.714-4)

HA = Active-Passive

• Hello,

its not working for me , would you please share new update solution.