This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Duplicate Computers in SEC

Hi all,

I'm running SEC 5.3.1 on Win Server 2012 R2. I have AD sync enabled and I'm seeing a ton (as in hundreds) of old computers showing up in the Unassigned group. It appears that the computers showing up in Unassigned are computers that have since been re-imaged or a name that has been reused. These computers are often times duplicates of active computers that are being synced from AD (if I scroll through the top level server list of computers, I'll see the same name listed two or three times in a row with only one computer being active - the others are greyed out). 

We do include SAV in our base images, but have followed the steps in KB 12561 prior to sysprep'ing the images. Despite this, it seems as though the console is holding on to old computers and allowing duplicates to be created. 

Given the number of endpoints we have (close to 9,000), this is adding quite a bit of overhead in SEC and making it difficult to see what's actually going on. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello CR Hiestand,

could you post a partial screenshot of duplicates on the top level view, tab Computer Details (minimize the IP address and Last user columns)? Would make it easier to guess what could be the cause.
    If the computers in Unassigned are unmanaged (grey) or Disconnected (Last message time "old") you could simply delete them (don't worry if you accidentally hit a live one, it will reappear).

Christian

• Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply. Here's a screenshot of a duplicate computer - http://imgur.com/k5xnlpQ

I've actually tried numerous times deleting all of the Unassigned computers, but they return. I'm not sure why they're returning since AD sync is occurring and obviously there is only one computer with this name in AD.

Thanks again!
  • The case was eventually escalated and I spoke to an engineer for a while on the phone. The issue comes down to computers being reimaged and keeping the same name (something that occurs very often here with ~9,000 computers in SEC). When the reimaged computer reports to SEC, it has a new ID and thus is not matched to the synced computer from AD which has the old ID. 

I'll have SQL remove duplicate computers on a daily basis which seems to resolve the issue. I'm not sure this is something that can ever be resolved given that the name is not being used as a primary key in the DB and since the DB keeps all "deleted" computers. 

• Hello CR Hiestand,

I spoke to an engineer
    now I'm not qualified to second-guess the engineer's statements but this is IMO no satisfactory explanation. Reimaging is not an unusual case and it is provided for, it definitely works when AD sync is not involved (and basically it's the same as an uninstall and reinstall). .... I've just done that with a computer in a synced group (and made sure that it has a new IdentityTag, MessageSystemAddress and cert), no second entry has been created. Did this once more installing with an explicit GroupPath. Endpoint disappeared from the synced group as expected, checked the database - no duplicate, it was the same computer with changed attributes. Next sync move it to the synced group.
    Then I renamed the endpoint (but not in AD), as expected it appeared in Unassigned and they sync created a new computer with the original name in the synced group. Upon renaming the computer back the two (now identically named) computers weren't merged or changed places (regardless of their console-deleted status). Once all (but one) computers with the same name are database-deleted it automatically gets in sync (forgive the pun).

Thus after the database-delete duplicates shouldn't recur except when a reimaged computer has a generic or temporary name, has Sophos already installed and contacts the management server before it receives its final name. 

Christian     

• I did express to the engineer that it'd be nice to have an actual solution to this, instead of scheduling an automated task to remove duplicates in SQL. 

Perhaps this is really related to Sophos being pre-installed on all computer images. It seems that because of this, when a computer is imaged, it generates a random ID (not sure if it is the IdentityTag or MessageSystemAddress), which no longer matches the endpoint that is being synced from AD. 

• Hello CR Hiestand,

as said, my test showed that if Name (and DNSName), Domain, and OS match (upon the first contact of the endpoint with the management server) the ID of an existing computer object is (correctly) replaced. But I'll think (ovver the weekend) about other scenarios and whether the could cause duplicates. [:)]

Christian

• Hello again,

I'm dense, apparently. Letting the endpoint contact the server before it has joined the domain should cause duplicates. When it first contacts the server it doesn't match the entry from AD (might also apply in case of a "stub" entry from AD) because of a different Workgroup/Domain. Afterwards the joined endpoint matches the (known and new) ID and thus not the old object.

Didn't think of it first as we install most software (including Sophos) after joining the endpoint. If Sophos is (should be) already on the image, have the Sophos services disabled (perhaps reenable them with a GPO), using a DomainNameOverride value in the registry (it should be deleted later) might also do.

Christian

• That's probably the issue. I'll test with our imaging process with disabling the Sophos services until after the join to AD is completed. We definitely need to keep Sophos on the image given the number of endpoints we have and only one SEC.

• Since the DB keeps all of the old Deleted entries, did this stop you from having new similarly named systems not deploy properly? Ending up with blank or minimal computer details? 

• We install Sophos on base images, so deploying isn't an issue with the duplicates, but I imagine it would be. It's been working much better now that duplicates are automatically removed from the DB on a daily basis. 

• Hi,

Have a similar scenario here. Machine appears twice. Our SEC is sync'ed with AD and the "Connected Machine" is in unassigned and the duplicate machine name is in the group sync'ed with AD. I have previously deleted both entries and then a day or so later both appears. I uninstalled Sophos as per http://sophos.com/kb/12360 and then re-installed and this hasn't fixed it either. 

Any other ideas?

• Hello pdturbo80,

uninstalled Sophos
    then deleted both entries?
    a day or so later both appears
    either a sync is performed before Sophos is reinstalled,
    then the computer in the synced group should be "undeleted". The subsequent install should prefer the visible entry for the match. Question is, which entry becomes visible when the install completes before the sync? And what happens when the sync is performed?

Did you check the two (or more) entries with the mentioned SQL command? 

Christian

• Hello pdturbo80,

uninstalled Sophos
    then deleted both entries?
    a day or so later both appears
    either a sync is performed before Sophos is reinstalled,
    then the computer in the synced group should be "undeleted". The subsequent install should prefer the visible entry for the match. Question is, which entry becomes visible when the install completes before the sync? And what happens when the sync is performed?

Did you check the two (or more) entries with the mentioned SQL command? 

Christian

Children
No Data