This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

AutoUpdate upgrade failed installation

The AutoUpdate feature attempted an upgrade on the server containing Sophos Enterprise Console and failed according to the logs. When we ran the msi directly, it would fail with an error regarding a missing transform file. Error 1605. After several attempts to manually install the msi, we succeeded but the install did not contain the server update information. I entered this manually and according to the logs it seems to be updating but the Enterprise Console is giving an error and the tray icon and application indicate a failed update attempt (Download of SAVNT failed from server). I am considering uninstalling the Sophos AV package but I am unsure how integrated it is with the SEC install. Would this be a wise step to take or could it cause issues with the SEC operation?

:49746

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello surma,

why did you try to run the .msi directly (and which one)? If the .msi fails with the proper parameters determined by AutoUpdate and/or the installer bootstrapper it is very unlikely that you enter a set of parameters which cause the execution to succeed and with the desired result. That SAVNT is mentioned instead of SAVXP suggests that some vital information has been lost due to attempting to install the .msi manually.

I suggest you try to uninstall Sophos Anti-Virus and AutoUpdate - do not uninstall the Remote Communication System. Afterwards either re-self-protect the server from the console ot run setup.exe from the CID.

Christian

:49754
  • Thank you for the response and sorry for the delay.

The msi I attempted to install was for SAU from the CID directory. 

I removed AutoUpdate, Sophos AV, left RMS installed and performed a reboot of the server. I then attempted to protect from SEC. This appears to fail. The SEC reports a "runtime error" (Endpoint reports 'A runtime error occurred' Error 00000062 following deployment) which I have verified the settings as correct. I see a blank "AutoUpdate Setup.log" from a few hours before the attempted installation in the Temp directory. Though, there appears to be a 'Sophos AutoUpdate' service running, I see no other indication Autoupdate installed anything. The 'Sophos Agent' service now appears to be failing to start with an error 'terminated unexpectadely 1067' as well.

:49814
  • Hello surma,

the name of any Sophos service starts with Sophos, thus they are easy to find. Obviously there are only two and while the Sophos AutoUpdate Service is started the Sophos Agent fails. The Windows Event Log might or might not contain some information about the reason of the failure. 

Apparently AutoUpdate is again in the installed state. I'd suggest to uninstall it again. Have a look at Endpoint reports 'A runtime error occurred' Error 00000062 following deployment and Installing Sophos Anti-Virus on endpoint computer: Internal Error 2738 returned whether they apply. Then - instead of using Protect - run setup.exe from the CID locally. In case it still fails check if there are any new logs (in the system and user %TEMP% directories and in %ProgramData%).

Christian

:49848
  • I had to end up contacting support which just indicated Sophos logs claimed the AutoUpdate product was already installed. I ran through instructions from support the first time and uninstalled Sophos AutoUpdate through FixIt. With their response regarding the logs of it still being installed, I then looked deeper. I uninstalled Sophos AutoUpdate again and bounced the server. I then found the Sophos AutoUpdate folder under 'Program Files'. I then searched the registry for the product string you provided and I found it still residing in the registry. I renamed the 'Sophos AutoUpdate' folder and deleted the product entry in the registry. I then attempted to reinstall Sophos from the CID directory. After the AutoUpdate installed it immediately failed due to no configuration. I then manually configured the AutoUpdate settings, chose Update Now and Sophos went on to finish installing the rest of the Endpoint Security. I again bounced the server after the requested restart by Sophos after installation. The Sophos AutoUpdate at this point is giving no errors and appears to be updating properly.
    Is the manual configuration required for the AutoUpdate on the server hosting SEC? I have had no other issues with the configuration on any other endpoint.

:49944
  • Hello surma,

uninstalled Sophos AutoUpdate through FixIt

it's a common misconception that the Fix-It uninstalls a product - actually all it does (which is nevertheless helpful in many cases) is removing (all) the information pertaining to the product (no parts of the product are removed) from the Installer database. This should immediately be followed by an install (which is effectively an initial install unless it's not a purely installer-based install).As the product itself is not removed it could attempt to (re)install itself - unless this functionality is disabled.

reinstall Sophos from the CID directory.

The GUI/wizard asks for the update settings but gives you the option to enter them later. If you are running setup.exe from the CID you have to enter the details - but normally Protect should work (and likely would have after the Fix-It).

Christian

:49988
  • I had followed the advice\instructions of support. I had already uninstalled the product multiple times (even with Fix-It) but each fresh install gave me the same issue. Only manually deleting it from the registry after the uninstallation seemed to work properly. 

We have installed from the CIDs and have never had to manually any details for updating. This configuration is already configured. As I have stated, this is the first install (both through Protect and CID) where I have had to enter any details for updating. 

Thank you for the responses and insight. I am just glad the issue has been resolved.

:50008