This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Setup Requirements for Enterprise Console - Windows 7 Yes, but Windows 10 No - this makes no sense

Hi Everybody,

the following question is directly for Sophos Stuff:

Why do you support installing SEC on Windows 7 although now EOL, but not Windows 10?

This KB clearly states so: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/122552

Is there a technical issue with Windows 10 that makes it impossible to install/run SEC or does Sophos in general simply want to get rid of SEC being installed on Client OSs and with that some possible limitations and problems that results with simultaneous client connecting to it (and in the end reduce support cases resulting from such a setup)?

IMHO, there should be a way to have a local SEC installed on a client OS. In many regions, where broadband connections (land or radio) are not available, there you want to have a local distribution point for your clients. At the same time, no full featured server is required, a client OS should suffice...

Just a thought...

Felix

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Felix,

I'm not Sophos (and it's staff not stuff) so I don't the rationale behind this but please note that already Windows 8/8.1 was unsupported. IIRC a SEC install on Windows 8 was initially unsupported but possible but not much later there was an announcement that Windows 7 will be the last desktop OS.

you want to have a local distribution point for your clients
    this is still possible on Windows 10. You don't need a full-fledged management server, just a SUM and both Console and SUM can be installed on Win10 Pro or Enterprise.

Christian 

• Hi Christian,

thank you for your advice regarding SUM and EC.

I still would like to know, why Sophos canceled the possibility to install a - as you call it "full-fledged management server" - on a client operating system.

For example:

If there would be any technical limitations, this would be understandable.

It would also be understandable, if Sophos would simple say, that they don't want to support anymore such a broad variety of operating systems so they artificially limit it to supported server platforms.

In that case thy could also say "Hey, sure you can install, but even if you have a valid subscription, we won't support your setup anymore..."

How ever, the KB Article I was refering to is pretty much like "Eat it or die" and leaves some open questions, I'd appreciate to be answered properly!

I will, how ever, try your suggestion regarding SUM and EC!

Felix

• Hi  

Please refer to this KBA of Sophos Enterprise Console system requirement where windows 7 also not recommended for the Enterprise console management server. When Windows 10 was released by the Microsoft we created an article mentioned by you in case any customer wants to upgrade to windows 10.

The article has mentioned "Note: The Sophos Management Server component is supported on Windows 7 but not on Windows 10. If migration of Windows 7 takes place with Sophos Management Server installed this will be migrated successfully but is unsupported on the Windows 10 platform." at the end.

So as you said above that installation may complete successfully and as suggested by QC you can install the remote console on Windows 10 but it is not supported by Sophos for management server.

Regards,

Jasmin
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Support

Sophos Support VideosKnowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts |
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link

• Hi Jasmin!

Thanks for your elaborations.

How ever there is a significant difference between installing on Windows 7 and installing on Windows 10:

If I install under Windows 7, the Installation "Checking system properties" Window might bring up some warnings but will allow me to continue the setup.

If I try to install under Windows 10, the same Installation step will stop the setup process, as the Operation System does not meet the requirements. This is when I meant earlier, that it's artificially blocked...

So I have no chance to run it in a non supported mode except for trying an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 which outcome is questionable.

So in case, there is a way to get passed that check and continue the setup process at own risk, I'd be happy to know!

regards,

Felix

• Hi  

In the above scenario, you'll not be able to go ahead as it is stopped on the checklist. As  has mentioned we have discontinued the client OS support for the management server, this checklist is blocking this OS.

Regards,

Jasmin
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Support

Sophos Support VideosKnowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts |
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link

Reply Children
  • Hi Jasmine!

I know, I won't get around that, and I am not even trying to, all I do is asking, what the reasons behind the decision were, to stop to support Windows 8/8.1/10 as valid operating system for the installer, respectively the software behind, to process...

and for QC: Thanks for elaborating on this even further.... I myself wonder, how you know that - either you are Sophos staff after all (btw. the stuff in my initial post was a plain typo, sorry for that, don't want to offend anyone) or you have already gone through all that pain and want to spare me the itches (which is very kind of you!).

regards,

Felix

• Hello Felix,

the decision was made quite some time ago. Thinking about it - perhaps it was Windows 7 that was initially (or during the Beta for SEC at the time W7 came out) not supported. Anyway I'm pretty sure the announcement that W7 will be the last supported desktop OS was not later than 2012. I might be wrong but I assume it was not a single reason. Required additional testing, technical imponderables, Central (then Cloud) was already in the works - in the beginning aimed at smaller sites (that were more likely to use a desktop for SEC). Last but not least the legal department might (have to) object to "knowingly supporting unsupported setups".

how you know that
    what exactly? I know SEC since its early days, took part in the Betas (I did run SEC on desktops - just not for production) , saw features come and go ... and I know how to use Orca to inspect the LaunchCondition table in an MSI. Just wanted to mention it before you agonise over a workaround ...[:)]   

Christian