This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Web Control - manually adding a host name ? Over 1000 host names to add.

Hi,

We have recently deployed a new Sophos Enterprise Console (5.5.2) and would like to import a list of over 1000 host names.

I know I can do this manually via the Web Control one by one but is there a config file where I could just add them all together?

If so does anyone know the process ? I've exhausted Google.

Thanks,

Wesley.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Wesley,

first of all, a list of over 1000 host names isn't exactly what Web Control was built for. Allowed or blocked, and may I ask why you need this rather large number of names (and indeed hosts, not domains)?

You deployed an additional management server? There is AFAIK no export/import feature for Web Control exceptions and most policies can only be "transferred" by restoring a database backup.

Christian

• Hi Christian,

I apologise .. I meant domains.

I use Web Control to proactively protect our network from reported phishing attempts, these domains are usually unknown to Sophos and as a result a signature doesn't exist.

User reports phishing email - email analysed - domain contained in email and redirects found during analysis are added to web control - targeted threat mitigation as a result.

I deployed a new management to upgrade to an new server, Windows 2016 and upgrade to 5.5.2. On our old management server the DB was no longer supported and couldn't be upgraded. 

It was easier and less time consuming than messing around with an old EOL unsupported server and unsupported version of Sophos Enterprise Console. As a result, I exported the old management server FW policies and copied the AV/Hips policies across manually, the only thing missing is the domains from Web Control.

I guess I will slowly add the domains to Web Control in time, I was just hoping there was a config file, DB table somewhere I could add them.

Thanks,

Wesley.

• Hello Wesley,

I see.
    Probably too late now as I assume you have already migrated (or started to migrate) the endpoints: If, for whatever reason, you don't want to migrate the whole database but prefer to get rid of the endpoints and their history for the time being you'd restore the database, SQL DELETE the endpoints (except perhaps Management Server and additional SUMs), and proceed with the migration. Although not a supported approach it should work.

Christian  

• Hello Wesley,

I see.
    Probably too late now as I assume you have already migrated (or started to migrate) the endpoints: If, for whatever reason, you don't want to migrate the whole database but prefer to get rid of the endpoints and their history for the time being you'd restore the database, SQL DELETE the endpoints (except perhaps Management Server and additional SUMs), and proceed with the migration. Although not a supported approach it should work.

Christian  

Children
No Data