This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mac - IP address change on client causes RMS to fail, and again with the duplicate Mac computer objects

Hi,

Two issues have once again reared their ugly heads this week.  I was building two new Macs running MacOS 10.15.x, and found that after the initial install via a USB-C NIC, we could not get the laptops to connect via Wi-Fi.

At first it looked like the very presence of the wireless adaptor stopped it from working, and removing all network devices except the USB-C NIC was the only way to fix it.

We have also found that even a simple IP address change is enough to completely break RMS. For instance, and I'll make up IP addresses here but accurate enough to be relevant:

1. On IP 192.168.1.1, I can use the SEC console to request an update, and I will see via a tcpdump on the Mac that traffic gets to the laptop and it checks for updates

2. Put in an exclusion of that IP address on both DHCP servers and force a renew.  The IP address changes to 192.168.1.2.

3. A local "Update Now" will work, as well as our automated check every 10 minutes.

4. However, in the console the machines IP address has not changed, a SEC "Update computers now" does nothing, and no traffic is shown on the client side tcpdump.

The second issue we have yet again observed is the repeated creation of duplicate Mac computer objects.  Typically we see the object create by the folder with AD sync enabled.  When the client connects first time its a toss up whether the server will "enable" this object or just go ahead and create a duplicate, usually in "/Unassigned" so no policy gets assigned for updates.

It's quite frustrating that his has been going on for years, Sophos appear to have done nothing to address this, and do not even offer a facility to merge these objects.

Feedback would be useful, as I'm sure some of my Mac supporting colleagues will have seen the second issue at least, if not the first as well.

We are running on-premise SEC 5.5.0 and deploying Sophos 9.9.5 on the client side.

Howard

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
No Data