This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Data Control

Trying to configure Data control to prevent users from uploading sensitive content via web based email or file sharing sites such as dropbox. I had no issue creating the rules and tested that they work. However, we have users that open pdf files in their browser so they get the pop up that they are blocked. We also use sharepoint and those are being blocked as well. I cannot figure out how to configure it to be outbound only. We do not have the Sophos Email Appliance, only Enterprise Console 5.4.1. I cannot imagine having to create exclusions in the AV policy for all network shares and that seems like it would prevent the AV from scanning those files as well. If it is not possible to limit data control to outbound only without the email appliance, please let me know.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Paducah DOE,

as an aside - isn't 5.4.1 already retired?

Data Control has no way what a browser will do with a file it opens - whether it will only display it or upload it to some site, let alone how and which site. Mind you, Data Control doesn't interact with the browser (or email client), it just monitors file opens by certain application and thus can't discern for display and outbound.

BTW: You'd need some gateway product that monitors and if necessary blocks both email and web.

Christian

• Hello Paducah DOE,

as an aside - isn't 5.4.1 already retired?

Data Control has no way what a browser will do with a file it opens - whether it will only display it or upload it to some site, let alone how and which site. Mind you, Data Control doesn't interact with the browser (or email client), it just monitors file opens by certain application and thus can't discern for display and outbound.

BTW: You'd need some gateway product that monitors and if necessary blocks both email and web.

Christian

Children
No Data