This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

80070520 when trying to protect Domain Controller

Sophos Installation is not initiating at all once put the account credentials in when doing it from Management Console. 

worked through KB29287 and still no changes. 

other servers are protected on the same network and are visible from searching. 

we have tried a remote install and direct install. 

any ideas?

no logs are created at all when we press finish on the "protect computer" wizard. it just completely stops. nothing appears in any logs

network connectivity is absolutely fine

we can see the remote share and have also put it directly in the C drive of the computer we are trying to protect. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello George Caldwell,

direct install
    you mean from the DC accessing/mapping the share and running the CID's setup.exe? And I'm not sure what you put [] directly in the C drive.  An attempted local install should always provide at least a minimal log in the user's %Temp% directory.

Back to Protect: A common cause for this error is the Network access: Do not allow storage of credentials or .NET Passports for network authentication security setting mentioned in the article for 80070520. Though this would only explain the error when using Protect and not when trying to install running setup.exe interactively.

Christian

• Hi Christian

"direct install" put the whole CIDs folder in the C drive and ran install from there.

I checked the Network Access : Do not allow storage of credentials.... is this to be enabled or disabled?

• Hello George Caldwell,

Do not allow
    has to be disabled for Protect to work (it's just needed for initial install, it can later be re-enabled). If it is enabled the credentials required to run the started task that the Protect wizard creates aren't stored.

As said, if the direct install doesn't work there is yet another issue thus Protect likely won't work even with the necessary security setting. If you're using Protect then the bootstrap logs should be in the Protect user's %Temp% directory.

Christian

• Hi Christian,

We ran it in disabled and when running protect from console there is still no change. 

unable to locate any temp directory either.

it is very strange, we delete it from SEC and then we can discover it and when we try to protect it there is no indication of anything happening at all. 

• Hello George Caldwell,

the Wizard article outlines how Protect works. Eventually Protect either shows an error for the computer or the computer appears as managed.
    80070520 suggests that the task has been created, information on what has happened subsequently should be in the Task Manager. Once the task has started there should be a Sophos ES setup.log in \Users\InstallingUser\AppData\Local\Temp\.

I'd not spend too much time troubleshooting Protect if it doesn't work for only a very few computers - I'd just run the installation locally.

Christian   

• Hello George Caldwell,

the Wizard article outlines how Protect works. Eventually Protect either shows an error for the computer or the computer appears as managed.
    80070520 suggests that the task has been created, information on what has happened subsequently should be in the Task Manager. Once the task has started there should be a Sophos ES setup.log in \Users\InstallingUser\AppData\Local\Temp\.

I'd not spend too much time troubleshooting Protect if it doesn't work for only a very few computers - I'd just run the installation locally.

Christian   

Children
No Data