This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Server 2008R2 File Servers are hanging on Hitman Pro update and have to be reset - Sophos no help so far - can anyone else offer advice?

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing this and can offer any help. We have Sophos on-premise installed on approximately 150 servers and probably about once every 6-8weeks a group of 7 or 8 2008 R2 Servers hang while trying to update the Hitman Pro element of Sophos. They then refuse RDP connections, will not open any .msc consoles and hang when trying to shut down or restart and have to be reset. Usually they then perform the update successfully upon reboot but at least one or two will go into a loop and will have to have Sophos completely uninstalled and then reinstalled. With this latest update (last night) all of them seem to go into this update loop and I have had to disable updates altogether on them.

These are a mixture of VM and physical servers, but all are file servers which seems a little bit too much of a coincidence when we have 70 2008R2 servers doing various other tasks and none of them have had this issue. We also have no problem with any 2012 or 2016 servers.

I have been in touch with Sophos at least three times now but they've not shown a lot of interest in getting to the bottom of the problem, instead telling me that no-one else has this issue and that their is an update coming soon that may fix it (but we've had this for months now). I get that it is hard to troubleshoot as their are no logs to look at and it's hard to reproduce (though I did manage it for one engineer) but this is now getting really annoying (and disruptive).

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi AnotherUser,

I am really sorry that your issue is still not completely resolved. This is quite a new issue that I have come across, Would it be possible for you to inbox me the ticket numbers that you had with our support regarding this issue? Let me have a look into it and see if we can find anything else that can be of any use. 

I would like to know if this issue is seen on any other Windows 2008 R2 server which is not a file servers? 

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I submitted a ticket yesterday afternoon, we have two servers that are exhibiting the same behavior. I can't RDP into them. One is an endpoint and hasn't been able to update. 

If you hear anything, please pass it along.

Dave

• Hi,

The ticket numbers that I can find were 7959071 and 7851476. We have many other 2008R2 servers (most hosting eiher SQL or running terminal services and NONE of them have had the same issue in all the times this has happened now (and it must have been at least 4).

This time I have managed to get them to update my manually stopping the HitmanPro service in Services, then manually checking for an update, then re-starting the HitmanPro service.

When these machines hang, the last entry in the windows event log is always that the HitManPro service has stopped. In a machine that has updated properly, this entry is always almost immediately followed by 'the hitmanPro service has started'. There is almost certainly something happening when this service is stopped by the update process that does not happen when stopped manually.

And that's about all I have I'm afraid.

Thanks.