This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enterprise Console different version of component

I've encountered the issue in https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/118083 Scenario 1. Instead of the solution provided that upgrade the SEC to version 5.2, can I upgrade to the other version like version 5.3? Would it cause any other problem? Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Yi Lu,

the versions in the article are examples.
    Thus if you encounter this problem when trying to upgrade from, say, 5.2 to 5.5 you'll have

• Sophos Management Database [5.5]
    • Sophos Management Server [5.2]
    • Sophos Management Console [5.2]

After uninstalling the 5.5 Database component you'd upgrade the other to 5.5. Why do you mention 5.3? You're not trying to upgrade to it, are you?

Christian

• Hi Christian,

Now we are using SEC V5.1 on Windows server 2003. We are planning to upgrade to SEC V5.5.1 and migrate to a new Windows server 2016. The previous plan was to upgrade from SEC V5.1 to SEC V5.3 in the current server and then migrate to the new server, the last step was to upgrade from V5.3 to V5.5.1 in the new server. Now I found that we have this corrupted installation.

• Sophos Management Database [5.2]
    • Sophos Management Server [5.1]
    • Sophos Management Console [5.1]

Can I still follow the plan or I need to upgrade to V5.2 first (describe in the article) and then V5.5.1? Thanks.

Louis

• Hello Louis,

ah, the Unsupported OS upgrade barrier.

As for the different versions. They suggest that an upgrade to 5.2 failed in the past. Apparently this hasn't been tackled then. In order to upgrade the Management Server to a certain version you need an existing associated database (actual database e.g SOPHOS521). Thus you shouldn't attempt to upgrade to a higher version (e.g. 5.3) than you current database version (5.2 in your case).

While not documented it is possible to do the upgrade and migration in one step, thus jumping over the barrier.
    Unless you want to start from scratch you need the backup from 5.1 (you have to make sure that you have the SOPHOS51 and SOPHOSPATCH51 databases). Following the migration guide you install the 5.5.1 Database Component on the 2016. Instead of the "current" databases to migrate (that you don't have yet) restore the 5.1 databases - you'll likely have to account for different data file paths (please see the Sqlcmd commands ... article). Proceed with the Server and Console install. The management service should then detect that previous databases exists and migrate them.

Christian

• Thanks Christian.

I think I will still go with the documented upgrade and migration guide. So the plan would be 

from 5.1 to 5.2 in the old 2003 server -> migrate to the new 2016 server -> from 5.2 to 5.5.1 in the new 2016 server. Is this right? And do you know where I can download the 5.2 installer? Thanks.

Louis

• Hello Loius,

problem is that 2016 is only supported by SEC 5.5+ - and minimum OS for 5.5 is 2008 SP2 or 2008 R2 SP1. Thus - unless I'm mistaken - you need not only two upgrade and migrate procedures but also an "intermediate" server OS. 

Christian

• Hi Christian,

That's pretty annoying. How about the one-step upgrade and migration you mention above? What would be actual procedures to achieve that? Wouldn't it have the "System requirement" restriction?

Louis

• Hello Louis,

I've already outlined it.
    Basically you perform a server-to-server migration as per the migration guide, backing up your 5.1 installation (make sure the SOPHOS51 database is backed up - as the 5.2 Database Component is installed the tools might back up the 52 database by default). 
    On the target server you install 5.5.1. At chapter 8 of the 55 Guide ypu'd just restore the certificates, the 51 database has to be restored manually (DataNachupRestore would restore to the "current" version) from the command line
    Then proceeed with the 551 install. Personally I'd skip most of step 11, just start the services.

Christian 

• Hello Louis,

I've already outlined it.
    Basically you perform a server-to-server migration as per the migration guide, backing up your 5.1 installation (make sure the SOPHOS51 database is backed up - as the 5.2 Database Component is installed the tools might back up the 52 database by default). 
    On the target server you install 5.5.1. At chapter 8 of the 55 Guide ypu'd just restore the certificates, the 51 database has to be restored manually (DataNachupRestore would restore to the "current" version) from the command line
    Then proceeed with the 551 install. Personally I'd skip most of step 11, just start the services.

Christian 

Children
No Data