This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Device control failed a configuration read operation: errorCode=0x8007000e

Hi,

We have a virtual domain controller server in our environment where device control should be enabled, however we received an error 8 days ago (13/08) which said, 'Device control failed a configuration read operation: errorCode=0x8007000e' and after searching on your knowledge base, I couldn't find anything related to this for a possible fix. Currently device control is still enabled, but I with the trail of events shown below, are there any ideas on the cause and whether it's something I can ignore or whether I need to implement a suggested fix out of interest please?

****************** Sophos Anti-Virus Log - 21/08/2018 10:32:38 **************

20180813 103243 Device control failed a configuration read operation: errorCode=0x8007000e.
20180815 233258 Device control failed to process device: deviceId=SCSI\DISK&VEN_VMWARE&PROD_VIRTUAL_DISK\5&35015FB0&0&000100, errorCode=0x8007000d.
20180815 233345 Device control has stopped on this machine.
20180815 233610 Device control has started on this machine.
20180816 033225 Device control failed a configuration read operation: errorCode=0x80004005.
20180816 144038 Device control has started on this machine.
20180820 071830 Device control has started on this machine.
(7 items)

Thanks,

Anthony.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Anthony,

there's a stopped and subsequent started - due to a reboot? Then there are two started messages without a preceding stopped - did the service crash?

Christian

• Hi Christian,

Thank you for the quick reply. I had a check on the Event Viewer and could find only 1 unexpected shutdown on 16/08 15:37, but that occurred after the device control read operation errors.

The event viewer has caught the device control service stopping and starting, but nothing to show it is crashing.

That's all I can find for that time period to be honest.

Kind Regards,

Anthony.

• Hello Anthony,

may, most of the time it doesn't write when it's stopping - should have checked first.

Anyway, you've got "just" these three errors? Wonder why you have Device Control enabled at all as normally there should be much to do for it on a DC. Can't say what triggers a configuration read operation - you'd have to ask Support. Do they correlate with some device changes?
    Personally I'd disregard them for now.

Christian 

• Not sure why device control is enabled on our virtual servers really. I'll have to consult our server engineer for a possible answer I suppose.

We did have a low virtual memory condition for a couple of weeks and the SAVservice.exe did consume a lot of bytes as a result before the server was shutdown, so it's possible that might have been the cause.

I'll keep an eye on it anyway and see how it progresses.

Thanks.

• Hello Anthony Stevens,

a low virtual memory condition
    the code (0x8007000e) from the title would be in line with this.

Christian

Reply Children
No Data