This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos PET not starting anymore

Hi,

It seems that our PET is no longer starting as a service on our SEC server.

The error we receive is "Unhandled Exception: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'log4net, Version=1.2.14.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=669e0ddf0bb1aa2a' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest. at Sophos.PolicyEvaluation.Console.Program.Main(String[] args)" when trying to start it from an elevated prompt.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello System administration,

PET is no longer starting
    since when (and what could have changed)? Where do you see this error?

when trying to start it from an elevated prompt
    trying to start which program? Are you referring to the service or the program?

Christian

• Hi Christian,

We are in contact with Sophos support about this.

It suddenly stopped working since last Saturday when we did a server maintenance.

Kr,

SA

• Hello Christian

We have the same issue. After a crash of the server running Sophos Enterprise Console (VM) the PET service is not starting anymore. So the service "Policy Evaluation Service" is affected.

In the application eventlog of the server I find the same error message (see below / sry it's in german). It seems to be a problem with the log4net.ddl file.  What can we do about it?

Der Dienst kann nicht gestartet werden. System.BadImageFormatException: Die Datei oder Assembly "log4net, Version=1.2.14.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=669e0ddf0bb1aa2a" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Im Modul wurde ein Assemblymanifest erwartet.
    Dateiname: "log4net, Version=1.2.14.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=669e0ddf0bb1aa2a"
    bei Sophos.PolicyEvaluation.Service.PETService.OnStart(String[] args)
    bei System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state) 

Best regards,

ZAG SA

• Hi  

Are there any recent changes in your environment? What is the version of the Sophos Enterprise console you are using? 

Shweta

Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation@SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos! - Visit Sophos Techvids
  • Hi Shweta

There are no recent changes in our environment. The version of the Sophos Enterprise console is 5.5.0.

The PET stopped working after a crash of the VM because a RAM error on the physical Server.
    When I try to restart the "PET" service I recieve the error described before.

Best regards,

ZAG System Administrator

• Hello ZAG SA,

wonder how the RAM error managed to break PET, log4net.dll, or .NET? The error is somewhat obscure (and vague) - 32/64bit should not be the issue, (suddenly) missing dependencies or manifests ... hm.
    OK, just put the log4net.dll away an put an arbitrary file in its place - exactly this error. For reference, 1.2.14.0 has a size of 307200, SHA1 E7E328C26A8F8DDA6DE8532E7CD8EB012280D3EA. Dunno if and when SUM verifies the integrity of the programs directory - if the DLL is indeed corrupt. It's copied from C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Update Manager\Working\Decoded-SDDM\A845A8B5-6532-4EF1-B19E-1DB2B3CB73D1\Policy Evaluation Tool\.

Christian

• Looks like the file has been corrupted, restore it as Christian mentions and the process should start OK

If you check the Event log, was the last shutdown prior to this process failing unexpected?  Did it recently bugcheck, etc...

Jak

• Hello Christian

Thanks for the quick answer. We replaced the log4net.dll file and now the service is running again.
    It seamed the log4net.dll was corrupt.
    Sorry for the late replay I just noticed your answer.

Thanks

ZAG System Administrator

• Hello Christian, as you mentioned i have the same .dll corrupted. From your answer i have to take the right .dll from C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Update Manager\Working\Decoded-SDDM\A845A8B5-6532-4EF1-B19E-1DB2B3CB73D1\Policy Evaluation Tool\   but I don't understand where I have to put this file to overwrite the corrupted one.

Thank you so much

Lorenzo

• Hello Lorenzo,

that DLL is loaded from PET's program directory, %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Sophos\Policy Evaluation Tool\.

Christian