This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

freeze/thaw VSS failures when Sophos AV is utilized

Unitrends has an article (5520, https://support.unitrends.com/UnitrendsBackup/s/article/ka040000000PmjMAAS/000005520?_ga=2.69789140.576488646.1505169382-1745831295.1501935182) on getting freeze/thaw VSS failures on devices running Sophos A/V when doing backups. 

I've got one server experiencing this with Unitrends. I've got another server with Windows Server Backups that keep failing , but I haven't tried uninstalling Sophos on the 2nd one yet to verify that this this the same issue.

is there any official word from Sophos on this? Has anyone else experienced this? 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Any update on this? We are using Veritas Backup Exec and are experiencing the same issues on our test server. The server is Windows 2012 R2 and fully patched. When runnning manual backup is fine, but on first scheduled backup running at 11:30 at night these issues appeared.

• Any update on this? We are using Veritas Backup Exec and are experiencing the same issues on our test server. The server is Windows 2012 R2 and fully patched. When runnning manual backup is fine, but on first scheduled backup running at 11:30 at night these issues appeared.

Children
  • Hi Robert,

For now, if you're backup software can run a before and after script I would suggest having the before script stop the Sophos Health Service:

sc stop "sophos health service"

Then the after script can run:

sc start "sophos health service"

Of course, to be able to stop and start the service Tamper Protection would have to be disabled.

In the next release of Sophos Health to server, I understand that via a registry key (to be disclosed) you can change the default Health registry write time from 15 seconds to a value such as 90 seconds.  This will workaround the Microsoft issue.

There is a chance that Microsoft will fix the issue which will mean the above options are no longer required.  I guess the chance to Microsoft fixing the issue in 2012 is less than in 2016 but it may happen.

Regards,
    Jak

• Hi Robert,

We have not received a confirmed update from Microsoft since we are currently expecting them to fix this flaw from their end via an update. However, it is expected to be released via RS5 update starting with Windows Server 2016, though we would still prefer to get a confirmed release information from Microsoft before we publish the fix details.

We apologize for the time taken and request you to kindly help us with more time while we wait for confirmation Microsoft on the same. Additionally, Microsoft has not released any confirmation of a possible fix for Windows Server 2012 yet and hence requesting you to please help us with more time.

Regards,

Adithyan Thangaraj
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Here are the steps for the Sophos workaround:
    https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/132691

Regards,

Jak