This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Enterprise 5.4.0, can't push or pull endpoint onto clients...

Morning,

I have Sophos Enterprise 5.4.0 and I am having problems getting Sophos Endpoints on several clients.... 
When I check the SophosES Setup.log on the remote PC's I am getting the following errors

Error, utils::copy_file,
Error, Failed to copy CRT directory to local machine..

Note: If I manually try to copy the contents of the CRT directory from the server share it seems to trip up when trying to copy the library.zip.

I have tried to push and pull the install down with no success ... I can connect and navigate to and down the remote share so I'm not sure its a share permission issue, I am logged onto the local machine and using the same passwords to access the remote server...

I have checked the following services.. Task Scheduler - Started
                                                       Windows Installer - was stopped so started ... I did notice when i tried and started the re-install again this service will bin out again...

I do have endpoints running on other clients but loathe to uninstall and try an new install just to prove maybe the repository is damaged/corrupted as the library.zip issue above..

Any help much appreciated...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • This seems like the most interesting part of your post:

"If I manually try to copy the contents of the CRT directory from the server share it seems to trip up when trying to copy the library.zip."

I assume this is just copying the files from the server share to the users %temp% location using Explorer?

It would be interesting to perform the same task with Process Monitor running and look at the file operations.

You could also try using the C$ share (and locate this directory under \programdata\sophos\....) to copy the file to the client if you're logged in as an admin at the client.

Other tests include:

1. Create a new subscription to the product, this will create you another Sxxx directory.  Can you deploy from that?

2. Delete the S000 (or problem subscription location) and force an update of the SUM to re-create it.

Regards,

Jak

• Update:

Thanks for some info JAK but still having problems ...

Regards your options ... I have tried logging in as Admin on the client and tried to copy from the source machine through $ share, all files in the CRT directory except the library.zip file go across.

I get and error - There is a problem accessing ....\crt\..

If I navigate to the directory from the endpoint back to the Server I can open the library.zip file and see its contents, I still reckon this is corrupted somehow.

More background info regards setup...

• Previously 8 PC's connected and PC2, 7 & 8 would not install.
      PC's 1, 3,4,5 & 6 are displayed and showing correct IDEs etc...
    • PC1 is the Enterprise server.
    • I then unistalled Enterprise and Endpoint from PC1 and checked folder structures for traces of Sophos from Program folders etc.. and performed a clean install. Installed Enterprise 5.4.0 and updated the virus patterns, the PC's that are currently connect have updated but the 3 others still dont want to play and come back with the same errors I had originally.
    • What I have noticed on all except PC1 is that if you look in the TEMP folders to compare against the Update Manager on PC1's contents the CRT directory is missing the library.zip file but as some of these have Sophos allready installed I am presuming its not an issue and hence will continue to update from the Subscription point ...(If you can explain its enpoint install checkpoint for Enterprise Console updates etc..)

Thanks in advance..

Jim

• Hello Jim,

look in the TEMP folders
    I'm not sure which folder(s) you mean. Anyway the endpoints will continue to update as the CRT is only run before the initial install and is subsequently not downloaded by AutoUpdate to its cache.

Do I understand correctly that you can't copy library.zip (using Explorer and to an arbitrary folder) but are able to open it in-place on the share?

Christian

• The logging of interest might be a Process Monitor log on the server side as you try and copy library.zip from the client.

Focus on the file library.zip in the trace and its directory. Ensure you include the System process in the trace.  This is removed with the default filter so be sure to uncheck it.

Beyond that, concurrent traces, while also tracing at the client:

• Wireshark (filter with smb or smb2)
    • Process Monitor again.

Regards,

Jak

• Morning Jak..

Sorry for the delay ...  just to update you the system in particular is a isolated secure system and as such we dont have process explorer or wireshark available..

In the mean time I have asked for another build disk incase a disk corruption issue and will try and install from that and update you..

Jim

• Christian,

Correct I cannot copy the library.zip, it starts and after a period looks to time out! and YES I can open the folder on the remote host and navigate inside and further into the directories so looks like a particular file inside is tripping...

Jim