This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installing Security VM returns - "Error: invoking remote method 'DefineSystem' returned exit code 800b"

I'm trying to install Security VM using Windows 2012 R2 Server and Hyper-V.  I receive the following:

2017-05-18_10-18-26 [INFO] Deploying Security VM
2017-05-18_10-18-26 [INFO] Validating VHD disks before installation
2017-05-18_10-18-40 [INFO] Creating configuration disk
2017-05-18_10-18-40 [INFO] Copying configuration disk to datastore
2017-05-18_10-18-40 [INFO] Copying VHD from D:\SophosInstallation\configureSVM.vhd to \\BNA-VMHOST2\SecurityVM\BNA-SOPHOS1\configureSVM.vhd, this may take some time..
2017-05-18_10-18-41 [INFO] Set Volume Mount point succeeded
2017-05-18_10-18-41 [INFO] Copying VHD from D:\SophosInstallation\sav-sve-disk1.vhd to \\BNA-VMHOST2\SecurityVM\BNA-SOPHOS1\sav-sve-disk1.vhd, this may take some time.. 2017-05-18_10-18-55 [ERROR] Error: invoking remote method 'DefineSystem' returned exit code 800b
2017-05-18_10-18-55 [INFO] Failed to install Security VM

Ideas?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I am having the exact same issue. Where you able to get it figured out?

• Hello Luke Pickard and Nathan Stone,

unfortunately I can't move your posts to the Sophos for Virtual Environments forum where it would get due attention.
    Anyway, the Installation fails article suggests to contact Support for the errors not listed (but maybe has some better advice).

Christian

• Morning all,

If you can Contact Support with the logs and we can look into this error for you. 

cheers

Mark 

• QC and Mark,

I have opened a ticket and it has been escalated twice. Was hoping Luke might be able to give some input as to what his issue was. 

• Any updates to this?

Having the same issue.

cheers

• Not yet. It has been escalated three times and is now with development as of two days ago. I will be sure to post back what we learn once this gets figured out.

Here is what they have had me try so far if you want to follow the steps to speed up the process before you call in to support.

On Hyper-v we need to make sure that the “NT Virtual Machine\Virtual Machine” user to the Log on as a Service right.

in order to do so perform the following steps on the Hyper-V host machine:

1. Logon as a Domain Administrator
    2. Install the Group Policy Management feature from the Server Manager console
    3. After installation, open the GPMC MMC snap-in and browse to the policy that manages User Rights
    4. Edit the policy to include NT Virtual Machine\Virtual Machines in the entries for Log on as a Service
    5. Close the policy editor and initiate a gpupdate /force on the Hyper-V host computer to refresh policy. (You may need to wait several minutes for Active Directory replication to occur).
    6. remove the Group Policy Management feature from the Server Manager console.

to read more about this error follow this Microsoft KB article

Then they asked for some additional logs:

Can you please try to store the vhd on C: drive instead of F: drive and see if it still fails.
    And if it does, could you please collect and send in a process monitor log:

1. Download Process Monitor from the Microsoft site: http://live.sysinternals.com/Procmon.exe
    2. Double-click the ProcMon icon to open Process Monitor
    3. On the File menu, ensure that 'Capture All Events' is selected.
    4. Re-create the error.
    5. When the error appears, in Process Monitor, deselect 'Capture All Events'.
    6. Save the results as a .PML file and compress the .PML file to a zip archive.
      Note: Please ensure you click to "Save all events"
    7. Send in the zip file from step 5.... <Removed info>

And then they followed up with this request:

1. Could you please check the file and folder permissions for C:\Users\<UserIamUsing>\Sophos\Sophos-for-Virtual-Environments-Installer\sav-sve-disk1.vhd and C:\Users\<UserIamUsing>\Sophos\Sophos-for-Virtual-Environments-Installer\
    2. During the install is the VM created in Hyper-V at all?  If so could you please screenshot the settings it is created with so we can check what may be falling over at this point

For me all the permissions were set correctly and the setup process creates the folder on the HyperV host for the VHD files. F:\VirtualServers\<Servername>\ and the folder has two files in it:
    conifgureSVM.vhd and save-sce-disk1.vhd
    but that is it. There is nothing setup in the HyperV Manager.

Not sure if it would help any but if you do call in my case number is #8014931 if you want to reference it. 

• I have exactly the same error and log entries. Installing onto Hyper-V 2012 R2

• Been given the same answer as above, but sadly has had no effect.

Interestingly this error only occurs on about 50% of my identically set up servers

• Hi Nathan Stone,

Could you PM the case details so that I can follow up and update the thread once we have any new advancements in the case.

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I had the same issue.

I fixed it by changing the default locations for virtual Hard Disk and virtual Computers in the settings of the Hyper-V Host.

Those were not writeable anymore, because they didn't exist(deleted cluster).