This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enterprise console 5.1 database install error 1603

I am trying to install the database on a SQL server that already has other databases installed and I get the following error each time. CustomAction RunDBScript returned actual error code 1603.  I have seen installation instructions that say to turn off UAC but this is a standalone database server currently and turning off UAC and rebooting the server is not an option.  The error seems to imply user rights but I am domain admin and I have tried runas without success.  I raised a call with sophos but that got nowhere and I have been away so that call has now closed.  I will raise it with them again but I thought I would try here first to see if anyone else had had this issue and found a solution.

Thanks

:27541

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello gw_2691,

1603 is a general error code and doesn't describe a particular issue.

RunDBScript logs to the Sophos_Databasexxmsi <timestamp>.log in the %ProgramData% directory. Search for RunDBScript, this is usually followed by lines tagged RunScript: - guess that's where the 1603 is seen. RunDBScript runs the InstallDB scripts which log to the same directory. They aren't very verbose but perhaps there is a hint. As they are small you should be able to post them here.

Christian

:27545
  • These are the lines just before the error

MSI (s) (9C:1C) [12:20:54:385]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=RunDBScript,ActionType=1025,Source=BinaryData,Target=RunScript,CustomActionData=C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Console\DB\Core\;InstallDBEx.bat;(local)\APPS_03;SOPHOS51;C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Management Installer\Sophos_InstallCoreDB.log)

MSI (s) (9C:E8) [12:20:54:401]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI41F1.tmp, Entrypoint: RunScript RunScript:  Initialized. RunScript:  GetDomainOrComputerName: Not on a backup domain controller.

RunScript:  Computer = SWL7K2B04SQL01

RunScript:  Custom action data: C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Console\DB\Core\;InstallDBEx.bat;(local)\APPS_03;SOPHOS51;C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Management Installer\Sophos_InstallCoreDB.log.

RunScript:  Command line = "C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Console\DB\Core\InstallDBEx.bat" (local)\APPS_03 SWL7K2B04SQL01 SOPHOS51 "C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Management Installer\Sophos_InstallCoreDB.log" RunScript: 

RunScript:  Error 0x80004005: Batch file returned error code 1.

Gary

:27549
  • Hello Gary,

and what does C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Management Installer\Sophos_InstallCoreDB.log contain?

Christian

:27553
  • Hi Christian,

Sophos_InstallCoreDB.log contains

Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Server SWL7K2B04SQL01\APPS_03, Line 1

User does not have permission to perform this action.

Our DBA tells me I have database creation rights, which is why I thought UAC was the problem.

Gary

:27555
  • Hello Gary,

might indeed be UAC. So it is a remote database - in this case you could try to manually create the databases (please see Creating the Sophos databases using the command line tools).

HTH

Christian

:27559