This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Startup Scan

Does anyone know how to stop Sophos from scanning at startup?

When we first start or restart the PC, we have to wait around 10 to 20 minutes before we can use our PC, CPU and Memory is highly utilised.

This happens to our clients too as we supply them with Sophos.

We have Sopho Endpoint Advance.

Thanks

Rikki 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Rikki,

I have a feeling there is an application process that Sophos is trying to scan upon logon. Do you have any specific in-house application that may have been upgraded recently or a new product?
    Also, if you have a scheduled scan configured in the policy(for example: the scheduled scan is configured to scan at 09:00 AM everyday and you log into your machine at 10:00 AM), then the Task Scheduler will trigger the scan when you login to your machine. Do you have a scheduled scan configured in the policy?

Haridoss S

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Thank you Haridoss,

Yes we do have scan scheduled for at 23:00 every day.

I will remove this schedule and test.

So there no way for the schedule scan to work without any user logged on?

Thanks

Rikki

• Hello followers [;)],

a scheduled scan requires no logged-on user. AFAIK the scheduled task doesn't have the when missed option set. This has often been requested so that scans aren't missed - OTOH this could cause the scan to run at an inappropriate time so I think it has not been implemented. You likely have also the Scan at lower priority option set and this would avoid an almost lockup anyway.

It's likely not a scheduled scan - this can easily be verified by checking the SAV.txt log.
    10 minutes is ... unacceptable. Until recently I've also worked with a medium ThinkStation running XP, added memory but otherwise with the original disk filled up to the brim - not the configuration you'd expect decent performance from. Not near the 10 minutes. Unless you work with Windows 7 or even 10 on 2GB RAM systems you shouldn't even really notice. On my desktop (HP 8000 series, over 4 years old, 8GB, beefed up with an SSD) it takes less than a minute from power-on to fully logged in (and no waits for program open and the like).

It's probably some kind of contention. High CPU per se isn't bad (what good is it if you don't use it?), memory is many things. How high is high CPU, is "all" used by SavService?
    Also use the PC isn't necessarily a question of CPU and memory. As you work through Explorer you'll encounter arbitrary delays until it's fully initialized (all the fancy stuff, task-bar items, ...).

Christian

• Thanks

We have HP ElitDesk 800 with i7 and 8GB Ram with 500GB Sata Disk (Not SSD).

We suffer badly during startup and restart so we dont do it anymore. :-(

CPU is high but then it drop down, RAM get hit high around 80 - 90 % and Disk is hiting around 95 to 100 %.

Your right about the CPU and that fine, but RAM and Disk usage is the killer for us and some clients.

I've disabled schedule scan at 23.00 and will restart my PC and test.

If there anything else you can think off, please let me know.