This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Suddenly started triggering a false positive for PUP on Advanced Systemcare?

I have been using Advanced Systemcare for several several years.  I like it so much I have a paid subscription for the pro version for all 3 of my PC's.

Suddenly starting 3/23/17, it started flagging ASC.exe as a PUP KP and now I can no longer run Advanced Systemcare.

I do not have access to the whitelist ability to correct the false positive since I'm using the corporate version of Sophos.

Any ideas?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

It's not a false positive it is a controllable application, know in Sophos speak as a Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA).  It's up to you if you want to allow it.

Details on it are here:
    https://www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-center/threat-analyses/controlled-applications/Advanced%20System%20Care.aspx

You should be able to authorise it locally at the endpoint in the Authorization Manager.  If you're a managed client then you can define an Application Control policy to allow it if it has been blocked.

If you're not in charge of the policy you will have to contact your Sophos administrator to justify the need for it.  Maybe they haven't consciously blocked that particular application but they may have the option to block all new items in the category of System Tools or they have just blocked all of the items under System Tools.

If you're managed by Sophos Central, the policy looks like this:

As you can see in the bottom right there is a checkbox to automatically check new applications added by Sophos. Maybe this explains it?

Regards,
    Jak