This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SAV redeployment issue from new server Windows environment

Got and interesting situation on one of my sites. I am currently in the process of migrating our infrastructure from one domain to another. There is a trust relationship between the 2 domains and updating has been working fine however as we are planning on decomissioning the old domain this needs to be done.

I have rebuilt a new server (completely new DB everything) and am currently starting to migrate my endpoints from one domain to the other. I am reprotecting the endpoints via AD Sync from the new server and am seeing a situation where a subset of the systems are reprotected. of the remaining PC's I have a few errors being thrown up:

Installation failed                    16/02/2017 15:12:14      80070002  The installation could not be started: The system cannot find the file specified.  The computer may need additional configuration before installation. See knowledgebase article 29287.

or

16/02/2017 15:19:42      80070569  The installation could not be started: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.  The computer may need additional configuration before installation. See knowledgebase article 29287.

(I am a Domain admin, the admin account is a member of the SophosAdministrators Group but I have also tested this with a working local admin account as well)

oh and a smattering of:

0000002e  The installation could not be started. The computer may need additional configuration before installation. See article 29287.

If I run the install from the client PC the SAV install initially fails with the following error:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Sophos Anti-Virus
Date:          16/02/2017 14:23:22
Event ID:      65535
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      [machinename].DomainName
Description:
The description for Event ID 65535 from source Sophos Anti-Virus cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

-------------------

Catastrophic failure

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="schemas.microsoft.com/.../event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Sophos Anti-Virus" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">65535</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-02-16T14:23:22.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>33876</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>[machinename].DomainName</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Catastrophic failure</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

---------------------

If i manually run the SAU install and then edit the SAU Config to mirror a working installation Autoupdate completes a full download and installation. However the endpoint shows as offline on the console. Redeploying from the root SUM server is occasionally succesful irritatingly however the root SUM server has the same subscription and credential set as the local update server which is not working. Forcing a download completes succesfully but I have the same failed installs when deploying from the local cache.

All of the systems have the same GPO's applied, and I believe have the same base build. So anyone have any ideas?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Richard Whittle,

I'll start from the end - manually run the SAU install and then edit the SAU Config: You should either run setup.exe from the correct CID (i.e. the one on the new server) or use an appropriately built package. In either case there is no need to edit any configuration. Also RMS will be correctly initialized and the endpoints report to the new server.
    As you say the root SUM server - are there any finicky details, e.g. additional SUMs and/or message relays, in your setup I have missed or you didn't tell?

Christian

• Hi Christian,

To answer your points in order :

I agree that running the SAV installer should work and overwrite the existing managed from old infrastructure equipment. However this does not work, I have an error 80070002: The installation could not be started: The system cannot find the file specified.  The computer may need additional configuration before installation. See knowledgebase article 29287.

I did another deployment this morning with the same results, a couple succesful installs and several failures.

You are correct there are additional SUM servers, we operate a hub-spoke network environment with local SUM repositories in each location. I have tried doing the deployment from the root SUM server and from the local repositories. Given that some of the systems are succesful in the same deployment I know it is not a permission based issue, I could surmise that it was a DNS issue however given the number of failed installs being unable to find the file specified I am a bit in the dark really.

Richard

• Hello Richard,

to clarify: deployment from ... the local repositories means you set the Initial Install Source to the local repository before Protect computers?

Christian

• Hi Christian,

that is correct, I amended the updatign policy to point the initial install source at the root repository and have also tried this with "Use primary server address"

Richard

• Hello Richard,

definitely not a (server) permissions issue if some/several work. Any discernible pattern? Did some installs succeed when you retried or is it "hard"?
    DNS - if it worked with the old servers it should do so with the new ones. Accessing a share involves more things than name resolution and account permissions - can you confirm that you are unable to access the local or root share from a failing endpoint? Thinking about it - just access is still no guarantee for success, access to setup.exe with the intention to run it might still be denied (one encounters all kinds of weird problems over the years). 

Christian