This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows XP3/Windows 2003 SP2

Hi There,

I want to clarify something regarding support for Windows XP SP3/Windows 2003/SP2.. on the website the below is displayed.. Is there still IDEs updates still available after is date ??

Supported until 1 February 2017, thereafter will continue to be available until further notice, but unsupported.
For extended Anti-Virus support options after mainstream support has ended, please contact your Account Manager

Thanks for your help

J

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello J,

[I'm not Sophos so this isn't an official answer]
    Windows XP SP3/Windows 2003/SP2 - IDE updates
    From past experience this means:

• continue to be available - for now it will work as it did before; development will aim to keep the product backwards compatible, this might also include extended availability of a legacy fixed version; new features and functions won't get backported, this could affect the efficiency and effectivity of the scanning engine and the cleanup routines
    • unsupported - as the term implies, Support won't open accept cases for issues involving these platforms or software versions; related articles might or might not get updated; as noted above detection might be impaired compared to supported versions
    • until further notice - once keeping compatibility is no longer feasible there will be a timely announcement of the final retirement; after the set date no updates will be available

Thus it's likely that you not ony get IDE/VDL updates but perhaps another version upgrade as well. Don't count on it though. Definitely there'll be no new features (NTP, SSP and SED - endpoint defense/enhanced tamper protection - already require Win 7/2008)

Christian

• Thanks Christian

We are in the process of phasing out XP SP3/2003 SP2 but these things take longer than expected.

J

• Hello J,

these things take longer I know and Sophos knows too. IIRC it was considerably more than a year until they pulled the plug on 10.0.x which they just kept around for Server 2000 (then unsupported by its vendor already for ages). Unless they suddenly change their ways you have half a year until end of 2017. Note that the Retirement Calendar states for Anti-Virus: Version 10.3 and above (emphasis mine) - No plans to retire. Again IIRC you could install 10.3 (or at least 10.2) on W2k. With further development 10.3 was no longer supported for W2k but you had the option to downgrade to 10.0 to get prolonged sustained extended but-really-soon-now-it's-definitely-over availability for W2k.
    Looks like they could do the same with 10.6 (soon 10.7) and 10.3 - be prepared to downgrade. But likely this won't be required before Q4 - just checked and saw that the Fixed Extended 10.6.3VE3.65.3 is available until 30th Sept.

Christian 

• Hi Christian,

I'm wondering how much longer will Sophos support Windows XP3/Windows 2003 SP2.... We have still a few remaining.

Any help appreciated

J

• Hello J,

only Sophos can tell - and they usually keep mum about about actual dates. As far as I can see all components (available for these platforms) are still updating. Haven't checked SESC 10.8 yet, haven't seen an ultimate warning though so I don't think the end is very near. I might be wrong in which case you'll have still a few month with the fixed version.

Christian