This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Endpoint security and control Update failed

Hello.

We have 120 computers. 60 windows xp and other are mixed windows 7, 8 and 10. We have SEC 5.4.1 installed in a wndows 2012 r2.

In our company we have a big problem with sophos endpoint in  about 40 windows xp computers. At 04/10/2016 all this computers came with a red cross - update failed.

I try to reinstall via share and via SEC. I have uninstalled sophos antivirus and autoupdate in control panel, deleted sophos folders and registry and tried a fresh instalation. Nothing works.

ALUpdate log finish wit this lines:

Trace(2016-Oct-14 13:17:32): Sending message: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><Config type="RMSEndUpdate"><ErrorMessage><ID>Install.Failure</ID><StringID>103</StringID><Sender>ALUpdate</Sender><Insert>Sophos AutoUpdate</Insert><Insert>80041f04</Insert></ErrorMessage></Config>
Trace(2016-Oct-14 13:17:32): IPCSender::Write: Writing message: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><Config type="RMSEndUpdate"><ErrorMessage><ID>Install.Failure</ID><StringID>103</StringID><Sender>ALUpdate</Sender><Insert>Sophos AutoUpdate</Insert><Insert>80041f04</Insert></ErrorMessage></Config>
Trace(2016-Oct-14 13:17:32): IPCSender::ProcessSend: Listener not ready starting to wait
Trace(2016-Oct-14 13:17:33): IPCSender::ProcessSend exiting 

I had open a support ticket, but until now i have no resolution.

Can anybody help?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Jose Alves,

the message suggests that it's the AutoUpdate installation that fails. A few lines above there should be ALUpdate(Install.Failure): Installation of product Sophos AutoUpdate failed. Won't rule other that install for one or more of the components also fails, if this is the case there will be corresponding ALUpdate(Install.Failure): lines.

Likely there are lots of Sophos AutoUpdate n.n.n.nnn install log yyyymmdd hhmmss.txt files in C:\Windows\Temp, all more or less the same. Search from the top for Return value 3 or its equivalent in your locale. The preceding lines usually contain the actual error. An example would be:

SOURCEMGMT: Failed to resolve source
    Note: 1: 1714 2: Sophos AutoUpdate 3: 1612

followed by a more detailed textual description of the error.

Christian

• Hello.

I opened a ticket in SOPHOS. Support discovered that folder c:\windows\temp does not exist in that computers. That was the problem. 

I don´t know why or what it´s deleting this folder. I recreate c:\windows\temp, but this folder just became deleted. 

Now i know what causes the problem, but i don´t know why folder just disappear.

• Hello Jose Alves,

thanks for sharing the explanation. Once Sophos is installed does it update even though %TEMP% disappeared or do subsequent updates fail?

Does the folder disappear at boot (or shutdown) or during the session? Process Monitor might help to determine at least when it disappears.

Christian

• HI All, 

If the Temp Folder is deleted automatically, Could you check and re-install ".net" and allow the user permission for the same . Check specially if you are using Domain .  

Also, could you check if you are using any software that would restore the system state ?

Thanks and Regards

Aditya Patel 

Regards,

Aditya Patel
    Global Escalation Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• HI All, 

If the Temp Folder is deleted automatically, Could you check and re-install ".net" and allow the user permission for the same . Check specially if you are using Domain .  

Also, could you check if you are using any software that would restore the system state ?

Thanks and Regards

Aditya Patel 

Regards,

Aditya Patel
    Global Escalation Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

Children
No Data