This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Endpoint security and control Update failed

Hello.

We have 120 computers. 60 windows xp and other are mixed windows 7, 8 and 10. We have SEC 5.4.1 installed in a wndows 2012 r2.

In our company we have a big problem with sophos endpoint in  about 40 windows xp computers. At 04/10/2016 all this computers came with a red cross - update failed.

I try to reinstall via share and via SEC. I have uninstalled sophos antivirus and autoupdate in control panel, deleted sophos folders and registry and tried a fresh instalation. Nothing works.

ALUpdate log finish wit this lines:

Trace(2016-Oct-14 13:17:32): Sending message: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><Config type="RMSEndUpdate"><ErrorMessage><ID>Install.Failure</ID><StringID>103</StringID><Sender>ALUpdate</Sender><Insert>Sophos AutoUpdate</Insert><Insert>80041f04</Insert></ErrorMessage></Config>
Trace(2016-Oct-14 13:17:32): IPCSender::Write: Writing message: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><Config type="RMSEndUpdate"><ErrorMessage><ID>Install.Failure</ID><StringID>103</StringID><Sender>ALUpdate</Sender><Insert>Sophos AutoUpdate</Insert><Insert>80041f04</Insert></ErrorMessage></Config>
Trace(2016-Oct-14 13:17:32): IPCSender::ProcessSend: Listener not ready starting to wait
Trace(2016-Oct-14 13:17:33): IPCSender::ProcessSend exiting 

I had open a support ticket, but until now i have no resolution.

Can anybody help?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Jose Alves,

the message suggests that it's the AutoUpdate installation that fails. A few lines above there should be ALUpdate(Install.Failure): Installation of product Sophos AutoUpdate failed. Won't rule other that install for one or more of the components also fails, if this is the case there will be corresponding ALUpdate(Install.Failure): lines.

Likely there are lots of Sophos AutoUpdate n.n.n.nnn install log yyyymmdd hhmmss.txt files in C:\Windows\Temp, all more or less the same. Search from the top for Return value 3 or its equivalent in your locale. The preceding lines usually contain the actual error. An example would be:

SOURCEMGMT: Failed to resolve source
    Note: 1: 1714 2: Sophos AutoUpdate 3: 1612

followed by a more detailed textual description of the error.

Christian

• Hello.

I opened a ticket in SOPHOS. Support discovered that folder c:\windows\temp does not exist in that computers. That was the problem. 

I don´t know why or what it´s deleting this folder. I recreate c:\windows\temp, but this folder just became deleted. 

Now i know what causes the problem, but i don´t know why folder just disappear.

• Hello Jose Alves,

thanks for sharing the explanation. Once Sophos is installed does it update even though %TEMP% disappeared or do subsequent updates fail?

Does the folder disappear at boot (or shutdown) or during the session? Process Monitor might help to determine at least when it disappears.

Christian

• Hello Jose Alves,

thanks for sharing the explanation. Once Sophos is installed does it update even though %TEMP% disappeared or do subsequent updates fail?

Does the folder disappear at boot (or shutdown) or during the session? Process Monitor might help to determine at least when it disappears.

Christian

Children
  • HI All, 

If the Temp Folder is deleted automatically, Could you check and re-install ".net" and allow the user permission for the same . Check specially if you are using Domain .  

Also, could you check if you are using any software that would restore the system state ?

Thanks and Regards

Aditya Patel 

Regards,

Aditya Patel
    Global Escalation Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.