This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

windows 7 wireless client boots slow with sophos endpoint

Hello,

I just migrated my windows 7 (X64) endpoints from symantec to sophos endpoint security and control (ver. 10.3), which are deployed with sophos enterprise console. I noticed that wireless clients are taking up to 2 minutes longer to finish booting untill the windows logonscreen appears. In the application event log i'm getting event id 6005 and event id 6006 (winlogon). Without sophos installed,  the clients are booting al lot faster and  the event id's 6005 and 6006 aren't appearing.

What i already tried:

1. made an exception for the windows folder (and for testing the c:\ drive) - made no difference
2. set sophos services to delayed startup - made no difference
3. disabled check file on rename and write on-access scanning - made no difference
4. disabled web protection - made no difference
5. disabled windows defender - made no difference
6. did a bootlogging with processmonitor. Here I noticed that between the starting of C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\rspndr.sys and C:\Windows\System32\drivers\http.sys there was a timegap of 40 seconds.

Has anyone an idea what can be the cause of the slow booting?

Greetings, Andy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I'm not an expert, but your question got me thinking?

• Was the client installation pushed or pulled?
    • Was the client installed wired or wireless?
    • Is the client fully seen in the enterprise console and has the client received the policies as defined by the console?
      • The way I usually confirm this is to open up the sophos window on the client and look at "Configure updating."  I like to make sure the secondary location is set and visible.  Since I usually install the endpoint manually, the secondary location is blank until the policy is received.
    • We have a "staff" and a "guest" wifi.  Do your endpoints hop onto the correct wifi at boot up?

Your question points to a "time out" problem.  The laptop (I assume it's a laptop) isn't able to access something on your network, and therefore is waiting, waiting, waiting, until it moves on.  If you hardwire the laptop, does the problem go away?

I know my questions may not answer your question, but it might help you get closer to it.

Adam in DC

• Hello, thanks for the reply.

In answer to your questions: 

- The client installation was pushed wireless and is visible in the enterprise console. 

- Policies are recieved without a problem (they have "same as policy" as policy compliance).

- Clients (laptops) are connected (with a gpo) to the right wifi-network

- Connected wired takes also a bit longer to boot then it used to be, but gives no winlogon errors.

The clients can connect to all networkresources but the problem is that it just takes longer to boot then it used to be (2 minutes) with sophos installed

• Seems like you did everything correctly.  Just for fun, you might try and install manually and see if it makes a difference.  Otherwise, you may need to open up a case.

Adam in DC