This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Auto Update error 71

Hello,

I have a problem with the auto update. I don't modified anything, but yesterday, this problem is arrived on all my computers (servers and users computers). Since yesterday afternoon, I can see an update on the users (a 6 hours update) but not on my servers (in particular in my Sophos management server), this update doesn't work and show the message below :

AutoUpdate finished
Downloading phase completed
ERROR:   Could not find a source for updated packages
Could not connect to the server. Check that this computer is connected to the network and that Sophos AutoUpdate is configured to update from the correct location with the correct credentials and proxy details (if required)
Downloading product Sophos AutoUpdate from server \\server\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\
Could not add a connection to server \\server\SophosUpdate; user .; Windows error 71
Could not connect to the server. Check that this computer is connected to the network and that Sophos AutoUpdate is configured to update from the correct location with the correct credentials and proxy details (if required)
Downloading product SAVXP from server \\server\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\
Could not add a connection to server \\server\SophosUpdate; user .; Windows error 71
Downloading product RMSNT from server \\server\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\

***************          Sophos AutoUpdate started          ***************

Thank you.

:50106

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello testou,

error 71 is ERROR_REQ_NOT_ACCEP, No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept. Can't say why there are that many connections - if the cause are thousands of clients taking a long time to download the updates the issue should eventually disappear (but then I wonder why you didn't encounter it before).

Christian

:50118
  • Thank you for your quickly reply, Christian.

I want to wait, the end of this update. But it is strange, three hours ago, there were 52 computers who don't apply the update, two hours ago, there were 44 and now 50.

:50124
  • It would be interesting to monitor the "Open files" and "Session" under computer management ("Shared folders") on the management server (or wherever the CIDs are).

Or I suppose you could just  run:

net session

etc..

Regards,

Jak

:50130
  • Thank you for your quickly reply, jak.

The management server is on Seven, so the share SophosUpdate can bring only 20 sessions. The majority of sessions open 1 file but one session 4 files and an other open 2 files.

The path of the share Sophos Update is \\server\SophosUpdate which is link to C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Update Manager\Update Manager.

The permissions on the share are Everybody only read, SophosUpdateMgr only read (and Administrators group had total control).

:50136
  • Hello testou,

do I understand correctly that you're running SEC on a desktop OS (Windows 7)? How many endpoints do you have, are some of the "real" (i.e. running a server OS) servers?

Christian

:50160
  • Hello Christian,

Yes SEC runs on a Windows 7 desktop ( it is not my decision...) we installed on it because we are actually on physical servers and the Windows servers are use for SQL Databases. We have more or less 100 desktops clients. 

Finally, it seems the problem is solved, with patience and time, the auto update is back. But I don't why the clients lost the connection at the server.

I have find an error on an other server concerning IOR (Interoperable Object Reference), it explains network identity of the server is not valid. It comes from Sophos Message Router. I don't know if it is linked...

Thank you for your replies, jak and Christian.

:50166
  • Hello testou,

I'd say that - as you have seen - a desktop OS can't handle that many clients without problems, especially in the file server role. If hosting the share on one of the servers or another server are both out of question you should consider a Linux box or a small NAS.

Christian

:50170
  • Ok, thank you Christian for your advice.

We will change ours physical servers soon for virtual servers. So we will install the console probably on a Windows server.

Bye.

:50172