This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Update Manager fails to import updates - air gapped system

I have an air gapped system (SEC 5.2.1R2) that has been running fine, taking updates until I did some updates this week. the SUM errors when importing the updates in the console, giving "Software delivery failed".

Examination of the logs with logviewer.exe gives - Synchronize operation failed when synchronizing product release "Windows Endpoint Security and Control". Details: Cannot create stream 954058bb4a1ab320442a8500e5196ec6x000.xml

I have used KB article 119590 (Sophos Update Manager fails to import updates error 'Cannot create stream' and 'Error during package synchronisation'), I am sure it is not firewall related (nothing has changed and I have reporduced the error on a virtual test setup I had prior to the initial install with no firewalls), and it points to KB111843 to try and download the files mentioned.

I can not find any .xml files to download, and to be frank I am now totally confused, particularly because if I use the warehouse files from the previous week (still had the folder on a usb stick), the error goes and the files are imported correctly, just not the most recent ones!

HELP!!

:50432

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello roberts2,

sounds like your source Warehouse does not contain the files your air-gapped server expects. This can be the case when the SUMs have subscribed to different versions - perhaps it's related to the recent upgrade from 10.3.1 to 10.3.7 and the corresponding changes in the generic subscriptions (Recommended, Preview, ...).

Christian 

:50434
  • Christian,

Thanks for the reply, I think you have pointed to the solution, I have cheked the End points on the air gapped side and they are 10.3.1 NOT 10.3.7.

So maybe the subscription has changed on the primary server (I do not have direct control over that). What sort of changes should I be looking for in the subscriptions?

Can I directly download the update to 10.3.7 for installing on the air gapped side, or will that not cure the issue?

:50436
  • Hello roberts2,

have you subscribed to Recommended? If you View/Edit the subscription (in the Update managers view, Software Subscriptions on the left) and click Details ... it will show you which version SUM expects to be available for the selected (generic) version according to the metadata. One possible scenario is that your source SUM has subscribed to Previous Recommended (and selected Recommended in none of its other subscriptions) in which case it will not have downloaded the 10.3.7 files.

Unless you want to do it by trial and error you have at least to know which versions your source has subscribed to - these are the ones you can select. 

Christian

:50438
  • Christian,

Thanks for your help it is resolved now.

The Primary server was on Recommended subscription but for some reason was not updating the warehouse folder correctly. By removing the subscription and re-anabling it seems to have cured the issue.

So new warehouse files downloaded and applied, and all errors cleared.

Thanks again for your help.

:50818