This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uninstall Sophos endpoint security and control

My PC (Windows XP) has been running Sophos endpoint security and control for many years i a domain environment.

When I retired the PC was disconnected from the domain and the updates are not running any longer.

I still have the PC and need to uninstall this software.

In Add or Remove programs three Sophos entries:

Sophos Anti-Virus

Sophos AutoUpdate

Sophos Remote Management System

How should I do?

:33387

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I am also trying to uninstall Sophos Endpoint from an XP Pro (SR3) computer too.  I have disabled Tamper Protection and been able (through Control Panel - Remove Programs) to remove the SOPHOS AUTO-UPDATING.

I then tried to remove the FIREWALL program but got ERROR 1324. The path My Pictures contains an invalid character.

How do I proceed?

Paul

• Hello Paul,

could you show the corresponding log?

Christian

• Hello Paul,

sorry, thought that everybody is aware of the HKLM and HKCU shorthands for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Christian

• My bad then!

My Registry has neither entry Christian.

Paul

• Hello Paul,

and SAV is still in Add/Remove? Similar data is under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\ (in case of User type installs under the user's SID), if you can't find the ProductID you should find at least the DisplayName (Sophos Anti-Virus).

Christian

• Thanks Christian.

There is nothing at that location either and yes SAV is still is showing in Add/Remove Programs.  Pushing the Remove it gathers all the information etc. then rolls back and Fails with the Fatal error during installation still.

Paul

• Hello Paul,

strange that Add/Remove and the Installer disagree in this manner (usually it's the other way round, not in Add/Remove but the Installer considers it installed). Please search the registry for 09863DA9-7A9B-4430-9561-E04D178D7017 and 9AD36890B9A7034459160ED471D80771.

Apart from it being listed in Add/Remove - is SAV installed (e.g. the Sophos Anti-Virus service still present and running)? You want to remove Sophos because you are considering another and still supported AV product? You still have a thirds XP machine with Sophos 10.6.3 installed? If so do not uninstall.

Christian

• Hi Christian

I searched on both 09863DA9-7A9B-4430-9561-E04D178D7017 and 9AD36890B9A7034459160ED471D80771 and came up with nothing.

Yes, because Sophos no longer supports AV for XP-Pro (and AVAST do) I am migrating all our network to AVAST.  Installing AVAST while there are any remnants of SOPHOS around causes issues.  After this current XP machine I still have one further machine on XP and then one on Windows 10 to go.

Am I correct in thinking (given the timing of your replies) that you are in the UK?  I am very pleased that we are making some progress - one machine done and 3 to go - but it is slow progress!!  Thank you for hanging in with this.

Paul

• Christian

Well having played around a bit with msconfig and regedit I have got rid of everything now except SavShellExt.dll in C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus.

When I try to delete this file I get the message

Cannot delete SavShellExt.dll Access is denied

Presumably because the file is still getting loaded somehow or other.

How do I proceed please?

Thanks

• Hello Paul,

not U.K., Austria, Vienna.

SavShellExt.dll is a shell extension (there are several references in the registry), loaded by Explorer when you right-click to get the context menu. You can delete it after the login provided you don't open the context menu. The Sysinternals MoveFile utility lets you schedule the deletion.  

Christian

• Well thank you anyway Christian and Guten Tag!

Am trying the Move and rebooting.

• SO I wrote the following bat file:
    C:\Documents_and_Settings\Paul\My_Documents\Downloads\pendmoves.exe C:\Program_Files\Sophos\Sophos_Anti-Virus\SavShellExt.dll DELETE

and ran it and i got the reply from CMD The system cannot find the path specified.

What did I do wrong please?  Microsoft webpage was not helpful.

Paul

• SO I wrote the following bat file:
    C:\Documents_and_Settings\Paul\My_Documents\Downloads\pendmoves.exe C:\Program_Files\Sophos\Sophos_Anti-Virus\SavShellExt.dll DELETE

and ran it and i got the reply from CMD The system cannot find the path specified.

What did I do wrong please?  Microsoft webpage was not helpful.

Paul

Children