This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot connect to server

At the minute on 2 different sites I have run the repairs and done the things on the control center but none of the clients can connect to the server to update.

I get a message saying Check that this computer is connected to the network. I am 100% it is connected to the network as I am posting online from it and it is a fileserver so people are using it for files and printing.

Has anybody else had that issue?

:33275

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello NickHarper,

I didn't have the issue (I hope this does not disqualify me from making a suggestion). Could you please post a snippet of an ALUpdate...log from one of the clients (for XP in %ProgramFiles%\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Logs\ , %ProgramData% otherwise). You say they could update successfully before the repairs?

Christian

:33317
  • I have just got the log:

http://pastebin.com/cq3b1L6e

Would it be related to this?

Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:06): Attempting to make a connection to remote machine \\xservernamex\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): CIDUpdate(Info): \\xservernamex\SophosUpdate, xservernamex\xservernamexadmins, 1326
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): Remote connection over UNC.
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): File master.upd not found (Remote). Return code 0x80040f04
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): Unable to read file master.upd (Remote)
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): Unable to synchronise file root.upd.
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): Unable to synchronise file escdp.dat.
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): Unable to recover file root.upd.
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): Unable to recover file escdp.dat.
    Trace(2012-Sep-28 11:02:14): Error -2147217660 in ReadCustomerIDFile

:33329
  • Hello NickHarper,

thanks for the log (in fact the snippet has all the information):

1326 is either invalid credentials or more likely that the updating account is locked out (due to too many unsuccessful login attempts). Could you please check if this is the case?

Christian

:33331
  • Where abouts is the updating account? I have checked all sophos related domain accounts on the server and they look ok and the username / password is 100% correct as I have tried this 5 or 6 times but I know it isn't locked out as I used it to log into the server.

:33475
  • Hello NickHarper,

it's the account in the endpoint updating policy - also displayed in the GUI and stored in iconn.cfg. Your (edited) log looks like it's a server-local account (unless xservernamex stands for the domain). BTW - by log into the server you mean interactive login?

Christian

:33477
  • I have just checked and the AV on the server is updating fine, this is on the same server as the console and it works fine.

If it is on a client machine this is where it doesn't update.

The only username / password in the update policy is the one from the sophos license? I install the software with the domain admin user/pass at the start when it asks for credentials like I always have done.

:33491
  • Hello NickHarper,

sorry, forgot that there is no interface for the updating policy in SCC. I'm not familiar with SCC but AFAIK it normally uses the server\SophosUpdateMgr account to access the \SophosUpdate share.

Do I understand correctly that only the server updates but no client?

Christian

:33493
  • When I try to install it it asks for the username and password at which point I use the domain\domainadmin which I do on the 20 or so other sites and it works there

The sophosupdatemgr account isn't disabled.

Yes, the AV is installed on the server in the same way by going to the share and installing it and it works fine.

From the client machines I just get "Could Not Connect".

Nothing has been changed network wise, there are no firewalls involved. It has just been since the updater-b issues.

:33891
  • Hello NickHarper,

what happens if you enter \\xservernamex\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\ in Start->Run... (or a cmd prompt) on the client. When prompted for credentials please use the account given in the trace (the one you edited to xservernamex\xservernamexadmins). If the folder opens in explorer please try to open one of the files (customer_ID.txt is fine).

Also I'd compare the update configuration (iconn.cfg) of a working and a failing client.

Dunno if any of this provides more insight though so you should consider contacting Support.

Christian

:33939