This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows 10 CD/DVD-ROM issue

Hello all,

I believe I may have discovered an issue relating to Windows 10 and the Sophos endpoint agent.  I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and checked device manager to find that my DVD-RW was not functioning properly.  If I uninstall the device, rescan for hardware changes and let it automatically reinstall, it functions properly again.  Upon rebooting, the DVD-RW stops functioning again until I repeat the aforementioned steps.  I have noticed that after rebooting, a second driver is added for the DVD-RW from Sophos: sdcfilter.sys.  Presumably this is needed for the endpoint agent to perform device control functions such as blocking writable drivers which we do utilize in our environment.  I'm not positive this is causing the issue, but that evidence suggests that.  I am going to report this to Sophos support in hopes that it might be a bug that could be corrected in the upcoming 10.6 release for all those early adopters but I thought I'd post it on the forums as well in case anyone had a similar experience.  I've attached two screenshots to support my post.

J

:58206

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi all,

I now have an outstanding support call with Sophos regarding this issue which also occurs when running the feature update from Windows 10 1607 to Windows 10 1703.

Sophos have been chasing Microsoft to see how to best resolve this and it is a slow moving process which is unlikely to be resolved before the November 2017 release of the new build of Windows 10.

I will continue to chase Sophos and when I get an update / solution , I will post anything useful here.

Cheers,

Barry.

• I also have an outstanding support case with Sophos.  If I hear anything I'll post it here.

Reply Children
  • Here's a PowerShell script that 'fixes' it... at least until Microsoft drops the next build.

Your paths may vary (I'm on Sophos Central)

$dev = (Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPEntity | Where-Object{$_.ConfigManagerErrorCode -ne 0})

if(($dev.configmanagererrorcode -eq 19) -and ($dev.DeviceID -like '*CDROM*'))
    {
        $path = "$env:systemdrive\programdata\sophos\autoupdate\cache\decoded\savxp\drivers\sdcfilter\wnet_amd64\sdcfilter.sys"

regsvr32 /s $path

$path2 = "$env:systemdrive\programdata\sophos\autoupdate\cache\decoded\savxp\drivers\sdcfilter\wnet_amd64\sdcfilter.inf"

rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultInstall 128 $path2
    }