This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows 10 CD/DVD-ROM issue

Hello all,

I believe I may have discovered an issue relating to Windows 10 and the Sophos endpoint agent.  I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and checked device manager to find that my DVD-RW was not functioning properly.  If I uninstall the device, rescan for hardware changes and let it automatically reinstall, it functions properly again.  Upon rebooting, the DVD-RW stops functioning again until I repeat the aforementioned steps.  I have noticed that after rebooting, a second driver is added for the DVD-RW from Sophos: sdcfilter.sys.  Presumably this is needed for the endpoint agent to perform device control functions such as blocking writable drivers which we do utilize in our environment.  I'm not positive this is causing the issue, but that evidence suggests that.  I am going to report this to Sophos support in hopes that it might be a bug that could be corrected in the upcoming 10.6 release for all those early adopters but I thought I'd post it on the forums as well in case anyone had a similar experience.  I've attached two screenshots to support my post.

J

:58206

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Some here after Update from 1511 to 1607 today.

The fix "reinstall sdcfilter" is working for me too.

• What a mess, Sophos.

Same problem after Update Windows 10 Pro from 1607 to 1703 

• Hi,

I am running Sophos Cloud at a corporate size business.

We recently released the WSUS 1703 Feature Update out to our Windows 10 1607 PCs and they all failed the migration of the DVD drive and any locally attached printers.

After much moaning at Microsoft for yet another failure in their Updates process, I was advised the Sophos had caused this issue before and I was directed here.

After reading this post, I uninstalled Sophos Cloud Endpoint Agent from one of the failed PCs and restarted. The DVD drive appeared immediately.

So, Sophos Endpoint Agent is stopping the migration of specific drivers during the update process from 1607 -> 1703.

In a business our size, uninstalling Sophos from every PC before enabling a WSUS update is not a very practical solution.

Can anyone advise of a more sensible or practical solution that I should be looking at?

I see this happened with the 1511 -> 1607 feature update as well, (although I didn't experience that upgrade path,) so what was the most practical solution after that?

If anyone could offer a practical solution to fixing 300+ PCs, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Barry.

• Look at Jak's solution.

C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\decoded\savxp\ClassFilterDrivers\wnet_amd64\

right click on the sdcfilter.inf file and choose install.

• I just discovered that we had this issue after migrating a lab of Dell AiOs to 1607.

The upgrade was done months ago but the issue just became apparent yesterday when someone attempted to use the optical drive.

We've also found in our testing that the upgrade to 1703 causes the issue to recur.

Very frustrating.

Thanks eveyeron for sharing findings/solutions etc.

• Ryan,

I have discovered a workaround, which worked for our very desperate users.

Uninstall Sophos > restart PC > let the upgrade complete and the DVD drive should appear and be usable > reinstall Sophos > restart.

Not really a practical solution, but it might solve the problem for a small site.

I currently have a support call open with Sophos, who are talking with Microsoft, to find a better solution for a large site, such as mine.

If I get a solution, I will make sure I update this post.

Cheers,

Barry.

• Yep.

I'm going to try just reinstalling the driver via SCCM. I'll let you know how that goes.

• We did find that you could uninstall the DVD drive and then scan for new hardware and the drive would be discovered and work, but this was very temporary.

Longest it lasted was until the next restart that night, shortest was 2 hours and then the drive stopped working again with the same issue.

Good luck.

• We did find that you could uninstall the DVD drive and then scan for new hardware and the drive would be discovered and work, but this was very temporary.

Longest it lasted was until the next restart that night, shortest was 2 hours and then the drive stopped working again with the same issue.

Good luck.

Children